Logo

Please help with Ignition switch wiring.

Ksan

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and maybe help me out. I have a 1997 Ranger with a 150hp johnson motor, I went fishing and found the Ignition switch was broken. So I went by the boat shop and bought a new switch, they could not install the switch for two-three weeks so I decided to try it myself..............I took one wire off at a time and thought I placed it in the same spot but guess I didn't.

The next day I went fishing and turned the key and it fired right up. i was happy and ran across the lake to my fishing spot and went to kill the motor and...nothing, I could take the key out and the motor was still running. I decided to pull the kill switch and kill it and when I pulled it, nothing happened the motor kept running, I had to turn the gas tanks to off for it to die. I decided to look at the switch and see if I could rewire it on the water and now it cranks when I push the choke in. Does anyone know where I have crossed the wires at or would you please have a picture or something I could follow to wire this thing up the right way? Thank you very much.

Ok on the switch it should be labeled with letters B=battery (purple with black stripe, 10 GA), C=choke (purple with white stripe), M=magneto, there will be two of these. (black wire on one, black/yellow wire on the other) any other black wires or black w/stripe need to go on one of these. This shuts the engine off. S=start, (Yellow wire/black or red stripe) A=accessories, (purple wire)

I am doing this off the top of my head. I hope this works out for you. You got the wires mixed up for the Magneto contacts on the key switch, that is why the engine would not shut down.

Back