Logo

Boat trailer clearance

texas60

Contributing Member
I have a boat on a ez_loader trailer that I have towed with no problems back and forth to the lake,But I am going to hook it up to a U-Haul truck and going 1,000 miles. I fell like the tongue on the trailer should be extended 1 and a half foot to 2 ft. what do ya think? for the clearence? here are some pics

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Picture 768.jpg
    Picture 768.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 97
I'm gonna give it to you straight, i don't see the need to extend.

Keep a grease gun handy, when you fill the tank grease the bearings. Make sure you have the tools to change a flat, and before you leave perform a dry run on both wheels.

You don't want the lugs rusted, so remove them and just a dab of oil or grease on the threads, and re-install the wheels.

Believe me if you make wide turns and don't go over 65 mph you will be fine.

You will be staying overnight at a motel / hotel ? Just make sure of the wide turn, say into a gas stall. I looked for flying J gas stations they have great food and the tractor trailer drivers use it.

Flying J seems to be the gold standard for clean bathrooms my wife says, always clean, and like i said food was great and the price not to bad. T / A gas stations were second best we found on our travels around the country.

I know me telling you don't be so nervous , but when you finally get to your new home you will take a second and think " Why was i so nervous it went so well ". I have been there done that.

Good luck !

Last edited:
ok thanks again Cheif! as you can see I am a nervous wreck! LOL just trying to cover all bases as the time to move is near.And yes we will be stopping over night along the way,My wife is going to be driving the U-haul truck pulling the boat and I am driving the Durango folling her.Believe it or not shes the better driver and carries a CDL her and her ex-husband owned a trucking company so shes taking the lead LOL all our children are grown and gone now but we have 4 more children the furry ones 2 Beagles and a rotweiler and a Beguim shepard LOL so yes we will be making a lot of stops!

I sure would test that out first. The tongue looks a bit too short to me. If you do need to extend it, remove the jack stand, cut the current tongue, and weld in four pieces of angle iron. Then clean it up and spray with cold galvanization paint. Re install the jack stand.

Thanks Chawk-man,see that what I was thinking just by looking at it,as Cheif says I agree it would make it,but for 75.00 a welding shop will extend it,materials included. it probly would not hurt extending it for the price! I can have it extended a foot and a half or go to 2 ft. same cost.How far would you extend it to? thanks for any input! yes I am a worry wart,but I just want to be self for ourselves and other people on the road.The welding shop that I know very well and have had them do welding before said I can bring it in next Monday so I need to deside how long to extend it. oh by the way they will be welding it with one solid piece a 3"x4" tube

It's hard to judge the length you will need from the pictures. You will want to be able to easily clear at least 90 degrees off perpendicular from the hitch. If I recall correctly, those U-Haul hitches are tucked in real close to the back bumper.

yes you are right the u-haul hitches are tucked in,you know I think I am going to go 2 ft. longer, I didnt even think about the U-Haul hitch being tucked in,I remember now Thanks Chawk-Man

They got my trailer done and extended it a foot and a half I will take pics of it tommorrow and see what ya"ll think.I belive it will work just fine........damn they did a good job for 75.00 and they even balanced it for me

oh now I just gotta find the serial number for it it has been painted a few times trou the years but I need to find them to licence it before I move,Wisconsin dont require a license for a 19 ft. and under but the states going to Connecticut is un forsure and I do not need a ticket! The gas prices are bad enuff! LOL

Connecticut taxes everything that moves. But you will likely have at least a 30 day grace period before needing to register there.

heres the pics of the extended hitch I had done for 75.00 from a welding shop down the street.I believe that did a great job,I will put on my safety chains back on and extend the wiring and should be ready for my 1,000 mile journey I think its just right now(I hope LOL)

Attachments

• sdc10195.jpg
    sdc10195.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 124
  • sdc10194.jpg
    sdc10194.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 104
  • sdc10193.jpg
    sdc10193.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 117
Texas 60,

Looks good. Now, finish it off with some rust killer, and then paint it with cold galvanize paint. It will look great.

Up-Date Hey Chawk_Man got the extended hitch painted,extended the wiring harness,bought new fenders got them painted and mounted! I believe I am ready to take the big move to Connecticut the 20th! Thanks all for the help

Attachments

• sdc10197.jpg
    sdc10197.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 106
  • sdc10200.jpg
    sdc10200.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 111
  • sdc10199.jpg
    sdc10199.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 99
  • sdc10198.jpg
    sdc10198.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 103
  • sdc10201.jpg
    sdc10201.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 111
Probably will not be a problem with the u-haul but that mod will reduce your tongue weight so you may need to reset the boat if you want to tow with a smaller vehicle in the future.

thanks ya"ll I made it to Connecticut without a problem!!!!!!!!!!WoooHoooooooo in fact the boat pulled better with out swaying! The 12 foot u-haul trailer pulled bad swaying after 55 miles a hour.But the boat was flawless!

Back