Logo

1980 charger

MWages

Hi my names mike I just bought a 1980 charger yesterday was just wanting wondering what I got into it has a Volvo aq140a 4 cyl I don't know much about boats so anything anyone can tell me would be very appreciated thanks

If you are going to have an older boat, this is still considered a great engine/drive today, IMO.

Not sure what your questions are!
Do you have any paperwork that shows what has been done to it recently?
There are a few things that I'd sure be changing/inspecting, prior to running it on the water.... especially if new to boating.

Water pump impeller.
Water neck fitting/gasket.
Drive shaft bellows.
PDS bearing/seals.
#4 exhaust port.

just to mention a few.

Don't let that scare you....... Like said, this is still considered a great engine/drive today!
I'll take this set up over any of the newer *&%^#uiser drives. :D

images

Last edited:
The guy I bought it from let it sit for bout 2 years and had the carbs pulled off we started it on starting fluid with no carbs and it ran good I have no idea what he has done to it since he owned it

Two years sitting... it's going to require a new sea water pump impeller for sure.
Sitting still and at rest is actually more damaging to an impeller, than if the boat had been used more.
This is one very important component of the Heart of the cooling system. :)

That is a good sign that it ran, but to truly test it, you're going to want to repair the carburetors, and re-install them.
Be careful of the Banjo Fittings, and note that NEW aluminum banjo sealing washers must be used each time separated.
These are a "One Time Use" washer. A fuel leak in a boat is quite different from a fuel leak in a car/truck. I'm sure that you know this!

I'd not run it on starting fluid......... if you must do this, mix oil/gasoline.... and be dang careful.

Rick

On that diagram there is a tube that runs up to the front left side of the motor if your facing it it looks like it runs to a tank or something what is that for? What is the tank for I am missing it

All of these OHC 4's have a Closed Cooling system, much like the radiator used in cars/trucks, but dumps the heat into the sea water.
The Red unit that you see, is the Heat Exchanger.
Read up on what you can about Marine Engine Cooling pertaining to this engine.......... This is very important.

Be very careful when removing any fasteners...... you may have some corrosion that makes breaking and/or stripping bolts/threads very easy.
These are expensive parts.... go slowly.... use heat where needed if in question.
Penetrating oils often take weeks to enter threads..... and even then, it's a crap shoot........ heat is your friend.

you probably dont need a new float as these are brass but will need repair kits for them,I got mine from tomco,they are very reasonable,here is their link,just give em a call. http://www.tomco-inc.com/ I got mine for my aq151 in just a couple days.

Back