Logo

2001 Johnson 50hp 2stroke outboard....what mixture??

Re: 01 Johnson 50hp 2stroke outboard....what mixture??

ok so i've done some reading and have found it should be 50:1 and i should use tsw3 so im good there, but let me explain my situation as i need some help.

bought a new to me 01 pontoon with a 50hp johnson o/b. was oil injected but the guy before me took that off and now you have to mix. i was told it's 50:1 before i asked in here and thats what i mixed it at, just figured i'd ask again. bought it from a guy not near a landing so he put the water suction cup thing on it for me when i went to buy it and ran it, crunk up fine, smoked out the prop hole so i knew it atleast had oil in it. it had 2 gallons in it when i brought it home and i put 10gal on top and 27 oz of quicksilver oil. go to the lake today and back her in the drink. takes a minute of prime-choke-cranking to get her fired up. once it comes alive, all seems fine. i idle at the ramp for atleast 5 minutes before i take off down the lake on my inagural run. (as i sit here replaying the day in my head, if there was any smoke from this engine today, it was so minimal i didnt see or smell it)

about 3-4 minutes later and a mile out from the ramp i notice the amp gauge is reading 15(might have been this for a while, i didnt look till then), i think to myself this seems high, flip the lights on to see if it'll drag it down some, it doesnt work immediately... 15 seconds later, all while maintaining a 50% throttle cruise, the engine seems to bog down a hundred rpm, then goes a hundred over what i was running then ka-put. it just dies. i try to refire and it does nothing but clicks. the starter i guess? engine will not turn over at all. click click click everytime i turn the key. the amp thing may be completely unrelated but figured i'd tell it how it happened...

deadstick, i avoid catastrophy by the skin of my teeth and get tied to a dock awaiting a passer by to flag down to ask for a tow. i sit tied to the dock for 25 to 30 minutes before i get a tow. after we hook up and start the tow i turn the key for the heck of it... it had done nothing but click prior to that so why expect anything else. well it fires up for 2 seconds then dies. i try to refire, it starts, look back for a pee stream and nothing... it dies again 2 seconds after it refired the 2nd time. nothing but click click click everytime i try the key after that so i just quit trying.

get her home and pop the top and first off notice the starter is engaged with the flywheel, teeth to teeth. i play with it and free it and then pull the 2 plugs... bottom plug is obviously getting oiled, top isnt as noticable (can send pix if it'd help). with the plugs out, i try to turn the engine by hand using a long screwdriver prying against the flywheel teeth... it turns but friend says it seems to tight, it should spin a lot easier especially with the plugs out. he is no mechanic but then he grabs ahold of the flywheel and it moves left to right and he says the crank is possibly broke.

what a day...

any ideas as to what my problem could be?

thanks
jason

Re: 01 Johnson 50hp 2stroke outboard....what mixture??

Do a compression test !-----------------If bad pull the cylinder head and have a look in there.

Back