Logo

1985 115 hp Mercury Ignition System

Does the 85 115 Merc have the distributor in it or the more up to date ignition system? Want to know before I waste time to go look at it as I've been told that they are a problem.

Re: 1985 Mercury Ignition System

Maybe, maybe not. Is this an in-line six? If so, ALL of them have distributors and, by 1988, elctronic triggered distributors.

Jeff

Jeff are you absolutely sure that all inlines have a distributor !!!------------------I always thought that they switched to the 6 coils in 1978 or so .--------------Let us know what you find in your research.------------------------And those 6 coil ADI motors are quite reliable for, for those who asked the initial question

Yes, It is an inline six motor. I think it has individual coils but won't know unless I see it which I was trying to find out before I took the time to go look. I haven't gotten a reply from the owner yet, I thought that someone on here would know. Thanks!

One coil only for those electronic ignition Mercs; two for the breaker point Mercs.

Jeff

A 1985 inline 6 , would have 6 coils and 2 powerpacks.-------------NO BELT DRIVEN DISTRIBUTOR !!

Last edited:

I have found out this much about it. It does have six coils on it. Still don't know about the distributor part but I would think that it doesn't have one, right????

1979 the inline 6's went to the trigger under the flywheel, 6 coils, 2 switchboxes according to the book.

There is a --------------WEALTH OF EXPERIENCE AVAIABLE-------------- for those who want to " look , listen and learn "

Back