Logo

Replacement Engine

snoopy5

H Guys

New to the forum. Found some very helpful and interesting items. I have a Fairline Holiday MK111 which we use for sea fishing off the coast of Scotland.

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a Volvo Penta AQ200D with a 280 sterndrive single prop. Looking to replace the engine with a diesel one but would like to keep the existing sterndrive. Any advice on what type of engine would be most appreciated. The price of petrol here in the UK has gone sky high (almost £7.00 a gallon in some parts of Scotland) so looking for a cheaper alternative and thought diesel would be best.

Any help much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Have you considered the 1.95:1 Duo Prop lower unit addition?
For years Volvo has noted anywhere from a 25% on up gain in performance........ Some do even better!
I have twin DP's that I installed after running s/p's for a while....., and can atest to this improvement.
I have converted many boats to the Duo Prop. Each owner has been pleasantly pleased.

For the diesel, the drive ratio needs to change, you'll have a cost in finding the correct components for the conversion.
Not to mention the heavier diesel engine, the Borg Warner parts, the Exhaust conversion parts, and on and on!
It can be done.... don't get me wrong!

IMO, you'll never recover your cost from the Diesel conversion.

Hi Rick

Thanks for the reply.

I should have said that the engine is pretty old and needs replaced. The sterndrive is in good condition so I thought I could replace the engine and keep the sterndrive. As I am having to replace the engine anyway I thought diesel would be the better alternative to petrol so I wondered how difficult it would be to get an engine to fit the AQ280 sterndrive

Well, that's where the Borg Warner components come in to play. Most any engine that has been successfully marinized before, has a commonality with Borg Warner components.
This includes the AQ series Volvo Penta.
With the correct B/W flywheel cover and the B/W-Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing, the diesel can be made to work with an AQ series drive, such as your 280!

Now the drive ratio must be changed, and exhaust needs to be worked out!

Last edited:
Hi again

Thanks for that. Looks like I will need to do a lot more research before attempting to replace the engine. I will have a look around for a suitable engine and price the whole thing (including someone to fit it) Will let you know what I come up with

Thanks again for the time and effort :)

Hi Guys

Finally decided to do it. Have bought an Iveco 8140 fully marinised and converted to fit my VP 280 sterndrive. Now just have the hassle of changing them over. Only thing I havent got is a workshop manual. Any ideas where I can get one from ?

If you have the entire engine that has been set up for the AQ series I/O, you're more than half way there.
See if you can find a Volvo Penta OEM manual for the D1-13. I think that's what this engine may have been used as in the AQ series applications!

Be sure to adjust the engine height/side to side, as to accommodate the triangulation required for this style initial alignment.
See any OEM manual pertaining to this. These would all use the same procedure.
Do this prior to final tightening of the six clamping ring bolts.

Install the out drive transmission LAST! (makes it much much easier)

Back