Logo

Volvo Penta AQ 290 SP-A Sterndrive … Intake Hose Removal.

moresparks

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys.. I am in the process of cleaning, checking and replacing the bellows etc on my 290 Stern Drive and I am stuck one small detail.
How do you remove the water intake hose from the Shield?
This is Volvo part 876632 Water Intake hose kit and it is fitted to an AQ171C engine. It has a stainless steel coolant pipe complete with flange and not the double flange as shown in the instructions.
The stern drive leg is completely removed for overhauling and the 2 bolts are removed from the flange inside the transom, and the hose and pipe are loose but it only shifts back about ¼ inch. Logic suggests that the intake hose is pulled back from inside the transom but I am reluctant to apply too much force.
Is sheer force needed?
Of course it is in the most inaccessible position behind the engine so any tips would be gratefully received. Removing the stern drive leg was easy in comparison!!!

If you are speaking of the water neck S hose, it will involve a single band clamp removal.
Watch where you place the worm drive screw when you re-install, so that you have easy access from below.

Why do you need to remove the copper/chrome tube?

Also, as a suggestion.... (and I do this often), when you go to re-install the drive, make is easy on yourself by separating the transmission from the Intermediate housing.
There is no need to fight things when removing, or going back on.
This opens up the area for the shift cable and water neck fitting S hose connection/installation.

I never remove or install a complete drive, and I don't know of anyone who is in the Biz, that would.

Last edited:
Hi Rick –Many thanks for your response.
I am replacing all the “rubber” and I have removed the hose from the stern drive water intake no problem, but it is the other end I am having problems with.
Removing part 40 from part 41 on http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744670-44-19027.aspx.
It looks like it should pull through from inside the engine bay – but just need to be sure.
I removed the drive to give it a thorough clean and repaint – perils of nearly 20 years of salt water use.

If the band clamp has been loosened, the S hose will pull from the chromed copper pick-up tube.
Perhaps try twisting it some.

9264.jpg

Has anyone spoken to you about the PDS Bearing, SEQ# 83?
This is a "Must-Do" if you have no history of it having being replaced!

Hi I am new to the site I to am trying to change my freshwater intake hose or s hose and am wondering if you have to split the hose to get it off the rear shield there is no clamp on the outside and I believe it is the factory hose thanks.

If I may..I would like to add..
The intake hose does not need to be cut but was a pain to remove on my boat due to access.
You have to remove the 2 bolts numbered 42 on the diagram with the washers (43) as the metal pipe compresses the rubber hose against the shield from the inside. I found it easier to remove the metal pipe (41) from the hose (47) as well. On mine the bolts had rounded heads which didn’t make it easy and the bruises due to limited access lasted days.
I pulled the hose through relatively easy after that.
Good luck.

Back