Logo

Suggestions on using an oil extractor

43_lx_merc_1996

Regular Contributor
I just picked up an oil extractor that is meant to suck the oil out of the dipstick tube "to make the process easier". For some reason it is very difficult to get the oil out. The unit has decent suction. Any suggestions?

Engine is VP AQ260 5.7 V8.

Thanks,

Chris

Get the engine good and hot. The oil will flow easier and you'll get any particulates in the system to be suspended in the oil which will then be pumped out. Some of the older engines such as Chryslers didn't have the tubes going to the bottom of the oil pan so you needed to insert an extraction tube down the dipstick tube and down to the bottom of the pan. I suspect your engine however doesn't need the extraction tube inserted in the dipstick tube. Just extract off the top of the opening. Has to be a good seal so you don't suck back air. I suspect you may also have a male garden hose fitting built in to the top of your dipstick tube. You can rig up a fitting to accomodate this to your extractor using a female garden hose fitting.

Last edited:
Most Volvo Penta dipstick tubes have the large hose connection on the end of the tube. You need to use the large connector, pushing a piece of hose over the tube will not work. There is a drain hole inside the large connection and it will just leak air. And warm the engine, it will drain faster.

Ditto Woodie and Chris re; warming up the oil/filter prior to draining/removing.
If nothing else, at least get the warm oil out, and crack the filter cartridge loose.
You can come back in a while, and remove the filter when cool.
In fact, the new oil could be installed while things are cooling down. Then do the filter. (pre-fill your new cartridge by 85% or so)

As for extracting..... I can't say enough good about the Tempo Oil Boy.
images

These are "manual only", no battery cables to mess with, no pump to go bad. You just pump the handle to build vacuum, and sit back while it evacuates the oil.
These are tall and narrow, so finding a location for it to sit, is not usually an issue (as it is with some).
It will also work well for starting a siphon, extracting water, purging E/G/h2o coolant (when installing a cabin heater for example), etc.
I have owned two of these for years. One for oils/fuels.... one for water/coolant, etc. Both are still working well.

BTW, if your AQ 260 is OEM, it will not have the threaded dip stick tube.
The dip stick extraction method stinks anyway! :mad:
For this, I'd suggest a one-time-installation of an oil pan remote drain hose system.
It can be a hassle to install........, but you do this once only.
26163_M1.jpg
6997_reg.jpg

Here's one that gives you a banjo fitting with two (2) 180* apposing ports. (the plug is for the port not used)
159337_ts.JPG

The Oil Boy will come with a rubber hose (not shown) that can be adapted to connect to the oil drain hose via brass fitting.

Last edited:
Dockside, I have never threaded a fitting onto the threaded end at the dipstick tube and have never had a problem. I have a special end on my extraction tube that I made up. The long end off a plug wire clamped to the extraction tube makes an excellent seal by just holding it in place. In fact, with the extractor in the right position, I don't even have to hold the tube, it's a snug pliable fit and works awsome for me!!

The 260 comes with 2 different dipstick tubes, the most common in the one that goes through the block and into the oil.
It's small so the hose going into it is smaller.
Warm up the engine and suck it out that way.Careful as it can get hot enough to burn.
Make sure the tube has a small angle on the end as you can stop flow if too close to the bottom.
Make sure the pick up tube is at the bottom.J

Back