Logo

tune-up $

going coastal

I have a 1987 Silverton with twin crusaders 350/270hp with 680 hours. I'm not sure when the last tune-up was done, so I would like to get complete tune-ups. Can anyone tell me roughly, what the cost would be. At what $ amount would I be getting hosed? I'm thinking plugs, wires, points, condensor, fuel filters. Thanks.

He's gonna pay a lot more for parts if he has it done by a shop. Labor will be driven by access; I'd put three hours on the low side, especially if you don't know when the plugs were last changed.

You can get a feel for 'reasonable prices' by using the parts feature on this site. You can determine what markup beyond that trips the HOSED threshold.

You might as well add a cap and rotor and swap the points for an electronic conversion kit.

$600 sounds cheap to me but I'm not familiar with costs in your area. Like Mark said, access has a huge impact on final cost.

Is this a "nused" boat? Is this the first time you are doing any service to it since taking ownership? If yes, then you really should do ALL the standard maintenance so you have a base line to work from. That means in addition to the cap, rotor, points, condensor, wires, and plugs you also replace all the rubber bits. That's cooling hoses, exhaust hoses, fuel lines from the tank (are they pre-ethanol?), impellers, and breather hoses. Use new AWAB hose clamps, doubling those below the water line. New circulation pumps would be a good idea too. While you're at it redo the packing in the stuffing boxes; both prop shafts and rudders. Check all your electrical connections and batteries for loose or corroded fittings. Touch up rusty areas with paint. Once you have all that done you should make note of it and then keep up with regular intervals.

Back