Logo

removing fuel injectors

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
On my list of spring things to do for the boat I intend to remove all of the fuel injectors from both of my 8.2 MPI Crusaders. Never have done that before.
I have the shop manual that details step by step on how to remove them. I know to be very careful not to let anything drop down the hole once the injector is removed. Are there any tricks of the trade or suggestions about what I should do or not do?
Thanks...

Besides "Follow the manual", the only two thing I'd add (& hopefully they are in the book) are: 1) depressurize the fuel system before you start to disassemble it, & 2) have a new set of o-rings and change them when its time to reassemble.

Out of curiousity, why do you wanna pull out the injectors?

I'm with Makomark, Why pull the injectors?

If you are set on doing this, the only other thing I can suggest it to make sure the top of the engine is clean and blown off with an air hose before you start.

Sorry for the delay in getting back, I used to get emails sent to me that someone replied and I guess the forum doesn't do that anymore.
I want to remove the injectors to have them "bench" cleaned. I am told that is the only way to insure that they get clean. Also, about five years ago while having a valve job done on one engine the mechanic had the injectors sent for cleaning and had told me that they were really dirty... the port engine is ten years old and the injectors have never been cleaned, although I have run a strong mixture of seafoam and gas through them occasionally buy removing the filter bowls and dumping in the mixture... my port engine was flooding last year when I tried to start it cold... I thought that it may be caused by clogged injectors.
Hey, I am not "invested" in this, so if anyone has a better idea to clean them that works, I am all ears.

They may well need a good cleaning, especially if your fuel source has a history of being less than pristine.

You can select your notification mode by going to the Forum Action pull down at the top, and then go to the General Settings section. I use the immediate mode vs the daily mode.

FWIW, my limited experience is that Bench Cleaning, with the ultra-sound bath, provides the best results....but is likely to run about $100 for a set of 8.

Thanks for the tip on the settings to get notified.
I boat in Lake Michigan and usually try to find the cheapest fuel prices to get fuel, never really had an issue with "bad" gas per se, Had one memorable experience when my then 11 year old son was instructed to fill up the water tank while I walked the dog (we were in the middle of a week long cruise, far from our home port) and he mistakenly put the water hose in the fuel tank. Learned just how expensive it was to have about eighty gallons of gas and water pumped out of your tank by a "specialty" company... they did not get all the water out and I clogged about two sets of filters until we cleared up the situation.
The price you quoted is just about right on for ultra sound cleaning method that I found.

Back