Logo

1989 15 HP lacks power

Peterbeaudry

I have a 1989 HP Evinrude which lacks power after running for awhile;it bogges right down and even a 9.9 would pass me; I find if i do a quick turn the power goes right down; help

Could be lots of things ---------------Check for water in the fuel !!----------------------Any maintenance been done on it lately, like water pump impeller and gear oil changes.

I have a 1989 HP Evinrude which lacks power after running for awhile;it bogges right down and even a 9.9 would pass me; I find if i do a quick turn the power goes right down; help
If I'm alone in the boat it goes fast enough; two in the boat and it loses lots of speed; even alon sometimes especially if i make a quick turn I will lose speed and then cannot get hi end speed again

Could be lots of things ---------------Check for water in the fuel !!----------------------Any maintenance been done on it lately, like water pump impeller and gear oil changes.
I changed gas tank and gas with no results; change gear oil every year; what would a new water impeller do; cause i have water pissing out of the motor? Thanks

OK -do a compression test and check that you have spark on both cylinders that will jump a gap of 7/16" or more with a snap you can hear.------------------Could be a problem with reed valves , they have been known to break on the high revving 15 HP.--------------Impellers should be replaced every 3 years or so on those motors.-----------Check the propeller hub as it may be slipping.

Last edited:
Back