Logo

40 Hp Evinrude Model and Serial Number A portion of the number locate on the back of the engine is m

Places where Model & Serial numbers might exist:

Port transom bracket, on side about 3/4 way down.
On top of front center portion of swivel bracket just above transom.
Near top of rear port portion of swivel bracket, between swivel bracket and the long exhaust housing.
On a core plug located somewhere on the powerhead, looks like a small quarter sized freeze out plug.

If no numbers can be found, pictures may help. Usually the paint scheme of the hood tells the tale.

Thank you for the helpful information. Solinoid/starter issue resolved! yea!!!!!!

Now my problem is no fire to plugs. Everything looks in order!!

A do it yourselfer needs help!

Spark plugs removed.... If a large RED electrical plug exists at the engine, unplug it, then crank the engine by jumping the starter solenoid with a jumper wire from the battery cab;er terminal of the solenoid to the small 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid that engages the solenoid. Let us know what you find.

We still need to know the model number or pictures in order to know what you have..... the 40hp model has existed since 1960.

Well I have cleaned and tightened everything I can see from the ignition switch to the plugs. Alas I still have no fire at the plugs.

I am trying to do the repairs myself as money is very tight. Senior on fixed income.

Did you follow my instructions as per the above Post #4. Unpluging the main electrical connector at the engine eliminates the kill circuit, ignition switch, instument cable, etc. If you cranked the engine and tested for spark under these conditions and still had no spark, the usual problem is a failed powerpack.

Back