Logo

'07 90 HP Mercury 2 strock carburated not accelrating off idle

Tim Fahm

Hey guys, I need some help! This problem started last summer. The boat will just plow trying to come up on a plaine. It acts like it keeps trying to catch or rev up. I can back off the throttle and give it gas several times and then it will finally jump up on plane. The problem seems to quit after the engine is warm. Today I hit a little rough water from a boat wake and it slowed down gradually to an idle with it in full throttle. I then put it in neutral and revved it up a couple of times and then it ran fine. Pumping the primer ball does not help. I have replaced the fuel filter, the fuel water seperater and new plugs but still experiencing this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have you monitored oil consumption ??------Had the oil delivery checked as per the manual ??----------------May just need the idle jets opened up 1/8th turn at a time and see if it improves.

I am not sure how to check the oil delivery per manual. The motor has never had any wrenches turned on it other than changing the plugs. I seem to get about 2 1/2 to 3 tanks of gas to a tank of oil.

Yes the top plug was fouled and the others had a good bit of oil on them. I will check the oil consumption & see if a hotter plug is recommended. Thanks Tim

Don't do that! Find the REASON for the fouled plugs and cure it.

See my post on the other 90 hp Merc problem. That might be your problem as well.

Jeff

Back