Logo

switching to synthetic oil and/or hotter plugs

silver3412

I have twim 350's with 1060 hrs.
oil pressure and temp are good,
getting ready to change oil, not sure if synthetic is the way to go.
currently 10/40 pennzoil.
Also any helpfuls on oil change?
Was also considering switching from my delco 44rt plugs to a twin fire plug.
just came out of winterization , no problems just looking for ways to preserve good performance.
any thoughts?

Why not stick with what has worked for you, so there will be no surprises? Besides, some of those "miracle" spark plugs are bogus.

Jeff

PS: I hope you aren't changing the oil now when you should have changed it in the Fall? Leaving dirty, acid-rich oil in an engine all Winter is not a good idea! That's why oil pans develop leaks.

Concur w/ Jeff on the "innovative" plugs - no benefit in most boats except for a lighter wallet.

Synthetic oil may help your economy a bit but won't add any major performance benfits. We use full synthetics and the biggest benefit is extended oil change intervals. Only potential drawback is that of 'leaks' developing. There was a recent thread on this board covering that point.

Best thing to do for economy & performance is to ensure the engine is well tuned and maintained that way. You don't say how old the engine are so, if they don't have electronic ignitions, you may want to consider a set - they will provide many benefits to engine operation.

Back