Logo

Are some sea water pumps rebuildable?

1stboat

Regular Contributor
I don't remember my water pump leaking. However, recently it has started leaking. It appears to be coming from the front of the pump (pic 2)not the the back where the two halves come together. There is some sort of rubber seal (pic 1)on the front of the pump that I think may be the cause of the leak.

Attachments

• close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 34
  • top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 30
Looking at the parts schematic, I don't see a shaft seal kit. This doesn't mean that it can't be serviced, but apparently Volvo feels it is less bother to just replace the pump totally. If you are inclined to press out the shaft and seal, you may be able to cross reference it and get the bearings as well.

Last edited:
If parts are available, then yes...... it should be repairable.

Volvo shows two pumps for the 5.7 GI-PMDA
Front crank mount..... and a V belt driven pump.

Here is the front crank mout pump. Note the Water pump kit 3854287
There may be a shaft seal within the base unit, but it appears to not be shown in this schematic.
12449.jpg

With any impeller type sea water pump, the two impeller thrust surfaces are equally as important as the cam and impeller.
Your wear plate (thrust surface) needs to be replaced. It is severely pitted.
Since it shows this much wear or pitting, the oposite thrust surface is likely in need of replacement also.... but this integral with pump body/housing # 10.

Here is the page showing the seq #'s and corresponding OEM p/n's for this style pump
Notice how many are shown as "out of production".

Since this engine is set up with "V" style pulleys and belts, and if this were mine, I'd ditch the OEM pump, and retro-fit a Johnson style crankshaft pump to this engine.
RTL88TkJZMYJ2-dhMWgrJty06Bs6qqmysF9M6_-ZgkCICH13tbvLCzN8c6FjO_qlTfPdQ3Vykv4_9eulv9hyrVV6JraEFy4iIuFz52mquBKXJRBiZKEULyucA610HkPJQvdZhkY3ySx4sJ_x_vZ9pVE

Entire new pump anywhere from $150 to $200.
Some of the OEM pump parts alone are priced higher than this. :eek:

Three bolts secure this pump and the new pulley to the harmonic balancer.
It's a bit of a task.... but in the end, you end up with a very easy to service sea water pump. Four screws, and the impeller can be removed.

If V belt driven, it would become more of a task.

The only thing that worries me is if causes damage. Will it?

The leak doesn't bother me, its more like a trickle. My bilge pump can more than handle the amount coming out.

Back