Logo

oil leaking from water intake

spot tale

Hey guys, I'm new here, but from what I can tell you are a very helpful when people ask questions. I recently noticed oil leaking from my water intake grille area and don't know what I need to do to fix the problem. I recently purchased a water pump kit, because I know it is long overdue for replacing, and I also purchased a new lower unit gear seal kit. Did I buy the right parts? How difficult do you think it will be doing these replacements? I have a 97 Yamaha 30hp. Last year I redid my carbs, if that lets you know anything about my ability to turn a wrench. I just have not messed with this area of my motor before. Thanks, in advance, to those of you who provide valuable insight. th_IMAG0009.jpgth_IMAG0010.jpg

Yamaha oil seals are rubber inside and outside.--------------In cold weather they lose their grip on the housing!------------If water is in between seals in freezing weather the seals are displaced. ---------They start to leak !-------------Best to do an inspection.

Thanks for the insight racerone. The seal displacement could be from the water freezing around the seals. I live in Charleston, Sc and we did not have that brutal of a winter this year, but we did have about two months of cold weather. Do you think I need to have the lower unit pressure tested, or just go ahead like I'm intending on doing, and replace all the seals myself. Have you worked on a Yamaha 30 hp before? Do I need any special tools?

In this case pressure testing before and after repairs will tell you if you did it " right "------------also let you know where the leak actually was.--------------No real special tools needed, a wrench to turn the big nut can be made up.--------I own a Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 amongst many other motors.

Hey guys. I replaced the water pump and all the seals on the drive shaft, but I still have gear oil leaking. It is not leaking from the water intake grille anymore, but is now leaking from the small hole beside the water intake grille. You can see a pic of this hole on the right pic that I have above. It is directly to the right, or in front of the water intake grille, depending on how you look at it. I am really confused now, because I cannot imagine any seals being in this area and why this hole is leaking oil. Will replacing the seals on the prop shaft prevent leaking from this hole? It does not make sense to me that it would. Please help me figure this out.

If you are running on a hose in the driveway this is very normal. It is the unburnt oil from the exhaust.--------------The wee hole is a casting cavity drain.

Racerone, I noticed when I was refilling the gear oil that gear oil was coming out of the wee hole, which is why I am concerned. It does not seem like gear oil should be coming out of the same hole as the water as fast as the gear oil was spewing out of the wee hole. I imagine this is where I am getting some of the water and gear oil mixing, making the gear oil milky white when I drain the oil. What are your thoughts? Do I need to be concerned? I really don't want to remove the lower unit again, as I have done about 5-6 times in the past week or so. Thanks.

hi, I suggest to open the power unit from the foundation and check oil pump. Because you mentioned that you change the lower unit and the problem is still
remain. i saw the picture of your lower unit. thank you.

I don`t think so oil leaking from shift shaft seal, because there is no connection from shift shaft with oil. Is just a shaft which moves the gears
forward and reverse inside the gear box.

hi, my suggestion is inspect oil viscosity, because engine oil and gear oil has different viscosity, if the leaked oil less thicker then gear oil then it should be
engine oil, if not then you must do pressure test and open gear box to inspect seals.

fine do not listen to me

so when you get it pressure tested and they say its the shift shaft seal, then you can buy me lunch

i work on motors daily for 3 yacht clubs, and you do not think i know what im taking about

their is only 5 seals on lower units

DRIVE
PROP
BEARING CARRIER
DRAIN/VENT
and a SHIFT SHAFT SEAL

hey racerone, don`t be angry, many places has many name. you called it shift shaft seal but we called it gear selector. I really did not understand. sorry.
my suggestion is remove the gear box from the unit and fill oil on the stand. at the same time check the leakage by pressure test. that would be helpful.

I've been without the internet for a while, so I apologize for not getting back to you guys. I almost totally disassembled the entire lower unit and the problem was found in............ding ding ding. the shift seal. Thanks for all your help.

do I need to remove the out drive to replace the seal?
Hi Guy'sđź‘‹ Im new to the site and sorry if I post things in the wrong place at times.I have a question for anyone that can really help me pls.I have a new out of the box lower unit for a 150 yahama.I filled it with oil and it's coming out of the water pick ups and a very small hole on one side of unit.Any help pls on this and what it can be or what to do.Thank You all and sorry for the long post as I'm new to this.Thanks Again

Hey guys, I'm new here, but from what I can tell you are a very helpful when people ask questions. I recently noticed oil leaking from my water intake grille area and don't know what I need to do to fix the problem. I recently purchased a water pump kit, because I know it is long overdue for replacing, and I also purchased a new lower unit gear seal kit. Did I buy the right parts? How difficult do you think it will be doing these replacements? I have a 97 Yamaha 30hp. Last year I redid my carbs, if that lets you know anything about my ability to turn a wrench. I just have not messed with this area of my motor before. Thanks, in advance, to those of you who provide valuable insight. View attachment 1921View attachment 1922
You can thank me later, lol
It's more likely the shaft seal in the pump housing. Here's an example in a Mariner 30

Back