Logo

2004 bf130 starting problems

rmaharrey

motor starts right up on first start when i get to lake and run good
after i fish for a while 30 min to hour it fires up but goes dead and then on the*second try it cranks but it takes 3-4 seconds to start and then it runs
a couple of times it would run on plane cut off and right back on cut off ond on but never go dead like it has water in gas
this has been going on for about a month or so
any help please thanksw randy

There are so many things that it can be...

A timing light would let you check to see if there is spark at the spark plug wires.

The high pressure fuel pressure should also be checked to see if that is bad or good.

If it is electrical...it could cause both the spark and fuel problem. I would check all electrical connections on the motor especially those going to the ECM and fuse panel. Reseat all of the fuses and sensors (although, it is probably not a sensor). The build up of heat of the engine as it is sitting could cause a connection problem or component failure.

The heat could also be causing a main relay, fuel pump relay or pump problem. Maybe even the ECM.

Do you have a check engine light on your dash? If so, you could put your engine into test mode and see if there an codes that have occurred.

Test, test, test.

If you are not mechanically or electrically inclined, this is a very difficult problem to troubleshoot, especially without the proper test tools and Honda manual. With a really good physical observation of the engine, you might find the problem. But if you do not know what you are looking for it will be just "luck". Nothing wrong with luck.

Next time out, make sure that the fuel bulb is pumped hard before you try to start it after you are fishing. A bad bulb and antisyphon valve, could allow fuel to syphon out of the engine. Also, take the hood off of the engine before you start fishing to release the heat. See if any of that helps. Do the hood off first. If that does not help, then squeeze the bulb. If the hood off causes the problem to go away, then you probably have a bad connection or failing component due to heat.

Mike

Back