Logo

Lower gearcase bearing carrier

I am trying to remove the lower bearing housing from my 77 Chrysler 135 to replace the seals and can't seem to find any bolts long and strong enough to get the job done. Anyone have any suggestions? I bought some all thread and made my own bolts however they just bent and didn't budge the carrier at all. I have to get this out so I can replace the seals to fix water intrusion. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Nick

Update... Got the one apart I really needed to reseal. Was trying to get a spare gear case apart that has seen a lot of salt water and no go. Popped the heads right off the bolts. My gear case has only seen fresh water thank god and came right apart so I'm good. Glad I got it apart as I can clearly see where water was leaking around the o-rings...

Glad U gpt it apart.I was gonna suggest hardened bolts.Years ago I gotthem from a local hardware store.They special ordered them.I use them along with a torch.J

Yep I think I am going to need a torch on the other gear case as I have already ruined 4 bolts now. Salt water wreaks havoc on outboards. If I can get it apart and it looks good then I have a spare gear case. The upper half of the engine was trashed but maybe I can salvage the gear case.

Back