Logo

carb vacume leak

redsnapper386

Regular Contributor
guy's, just put on a new rebuilt 4-bbl quadrajet,fired it up,and it whistled like a freight train. i found the leak on the back side of carb where gasket meets manifold.i can push down on the gasket,and it stops.i am using the thin gasket as merc say's to use.should i use the 1/4" gasket with a hi rise manifold,or stay with thin ,and add silicone sealant.1987 350,a-1,290 h.p.high rise intake,4-bbl.quad.what to do ,thank's in advance.

Ayuh,... Unless the carb base, or the manifold is scared/ scratched/ damaged/ dirty,...

It should seal up with any of the gaskets....

Go with the thick gasket. It should seal better and the extra height will help with fuel atomization.
Bert

i am using the thin gasket as merc say's to use. should i use the 1/4" gasket with a hi rise manifold, or stay with thin , and add silicone sealant. 1987 350,a-1,290 h.p. high rise intake
Assuming that both carburetor base and manifold patterns are compatible, I'll vote for NO Silicone, and the heavier gasket.

Which "High Rise" manifold are you using?
Are you aware that, for cruiser type engines/boats, we should be using a dual plane intake manifold?

Back