Logo

1981 tohatsu 5 hp m5a2-s parts help

terrytdriver

I found this old 5hp saltwater tohatsu. So i thought id bring it home and see if i couldnt get it going for S&Gs. it has spark it has 110lbs of compression at 40 degress F. thats decent I think for a cold motor. Ive got it to run for about 5 seconds but it seems to just flood something fierce. what I need help with is were can I find a rebuild kit or a new carb also if anybody know the intial A/f setting that might help me as well. im zero bucks into this thing so i figured id give myself a budget of 50 bucks to see if she's a runner! if not i will use this boat motor as a boat anchor in the puget sound lol

Re: 1981 tohatsu m5a2-s parts help

I don't know any shops with books that go older than the 5B... However, if you call Tohatsu at 214-420-6440, they MAY have some info. Possible that the carb for a 5B is the same or similar, but no way for me to know that for sure. Failing that, you could just break down the carb and clean it. Most likely either the float is bad (if it's a cork unit), or needs adjusted, or the needle/seat is shot.

update!

I removed the carb took it apart soaked it in chem dip also found out it had the wrong plug in it. it fired up after two pulls! and stayed running! I need to adjust the air fuel mix a little there was a slight bog down in the middle of WOT. but unfortunely its not pumping water. time to get an impeller:eek:. im 2.50 cent into this so far so good thanks for the help

Re: update!

Ok so Ive looked hi and low for a waterpump repair kit. no luck. Ive even tried to find just the impeller and hope for the best no luck. the motor is tohatsu m5a2-S if anybody can help me by sending me a link or sell me the parts threw paypal or something that would be great. I also need the gasket that inserts into the carb that makes the gasket between the powerhead

Back