Logo

SX outdrive air leak

russb

I noticed one of my engines was beginning to overheat and after much testing I discovered that their is an air leak in the outdrive which is causing the engine to suck air into the intake system and not very much water. I replaced a water hose with with clear tubing to diagnose the problem. Since I have two engines I swapped the water feed from the other motor/outdrive so the problem engine was sucking water through the other outdrive and the problem disappeared - clear hose filled up and engine cooled. My question is, how to determine where the leak is in the outdrive. At the rear of the motor is a 1" hose coming from the outdrive and connecting to the power steering cooler. That connection looks good but it is very tight back there and I can't see anything further - the hose disappears into the transom shield. I regularly remove the outdrive to grease the u-joints and shaft but I don't remember any likely places where an air leak might develop. The drive has 2200 hours and is in good condition. Is there a way to isolate the problem.

Russ

I just read the post from welshswapy and the "water neck fitting". I looked at a spare transom shield that I have and note that the water neck fitting on my outdrive is made out of stainless steel. Is this part also considered a wear part and should be replaced routinely?

I noticed one of my engines was beginning to overheat and after much testing I discovered that their is an air leak in the outdrive which is causing the engine to suck air into the intake system and not very much water. I replaced a water hose with with clear tubing to diagnose the problem. Since I have two engines I swapped the water feed from the other motor/outdrive so the problem engine was sucking water through the other outdrive and the problem disappeared - clear hose filled up and engine cooled. My question is, how to determine where the leak is in the outdrive. At the rear of the motor is a 1" hose coming from the outdrive and connecting to the power steering cooler. That connection looks good but it is very tight back there and I can't see anything further - the hose disappears into the transom shield. I regularly remove the outdrive to grease the u-joints and shaft but I don't remember any likely places where an air leak might develop. The drive has 2200 hours and is in good condition. Is there a way to isolate the problem.

Russ

Back