Logo

2009 Mercury 2 stroke 8hp water coming out of idle hole

hamo685

Hi, I'm new to Mercury engines. I have a 2009 2 stroke 8hp mercury outboard which has water discharging from two ports.
I've checked the manual and have located the usual cooling water port then I've noticed when the engine is running water comes out at another location just below the lower motor cover about the same height as the usual water port but centered at the rear. It called the idle hole on the manual. I'm curious if it is normal for this water to spew out at this hole as it is not a steady flow of water compared to the cooling port.

Thanks

This might better be asked in the Mercury forum. However, if you have a Tohatsu-built Merc (since you mentioned 2009 model year), we can probably help. BTW, a Tohatsu/Nissan/Merc of 2009 would not be a 2-stroke. It would be a 4-stroke (running on straight gas vs 50:1 TCW-3). The Tohatsu/Nissan 8A3 and 9.8A3 (merc calls it the 9.9) powerheads do discharge some cooling water from the idle port, so that is probably normal.

Thank you Paul. I bought this engine in Fiji and I'm using it in the South Pacific here in Samoa. I think they still make 2 strokes for our region as we don't have strict regulations like the US. Have checked that some new Merc outboards are made by tohatsu and I believe my model is. Anyways then this water discharging from the idle hole is normal. I was worried because I didn't notice it when I was doing the break.

Thanks

Back