Logo

1977 25 HP Evinrude, no spark

billybobmsoe

Hello,
I friend asked me to attempt to fix his 1977 (25702H), 25hp Evinrude. Today he tried to start it and it spuddered a second and that was all for the engine showing it had spark. The engine is only pull start, the tiller type. I pulled both spark plugs and there is not spark at all, I held them to verify! I tested the spark plugs in a different engine and they sparked. Please help to start testing to determine the problem. A mouse did go in the engine over winter and nibble on a few things, but I cannot find anything that would cause it not to run. The push button kill switch looks tricky to test, but I am not sure if it would be that because it was never touched prior to attempting to start. There are two coils. Two "C battery" sized wire connections with four wires. One black sealed box. There is lots of gas coming out when pulled. I dont know if it helps any, but inside the motor cover there is a sticker with "1977 25 HP Spark Advance 34°". Please help. I can get pictures if that helps at all.

Thanks,
Billy

Re: 25 HP Evinrude, no spark

There is one wire from that kill push button that leads directly to the powerpack (black sealed box), disconnect it frtom the powerpack. If you now have spark, the kill push button is shorted. If still no spark, the usual problem is a failed powerpack.

Re: 25 HP Evinrude, no spark

101_2072.jpg101_2066.jpg

The picture on the left is to get the terminology down. Is the black and yellow thing in the first picture the power pack? Are the two black things on the right, coils? If so, one kill switch wire runs into a plug. This wire is one of three wires that are in the plug, up and right of my finger in the second picture. The second kill switch wire, which I diconnected and tried with no success, is bolted to the lower coil. The lower bolt of the coil holds the second wire.

I tested the kill switch, and it was good. So, the power pack is the next best option or should I test anything else before buying one?

Thanks,
Billy

You may try pulling the two rubber connectors apart and cleaning them out with acetone or similar first. Could be a bad connection of the little pins and sockets within them.

Regards

B

I have ordered a power pack from this web site, but i was also going to test something else i found on cdi's web site.
1. "the resistance and dva output of the stator and timer base" - what is the timer base?

Thanks, billy

The bits that rotate underneath the flywheel.-------------Has a charge coil ( exciter ) for ignition and a sensor coil ( replaces points ) -------These are quite reliable and rarely give a problem.

Back