Logo

35HP evenrude 1977.

Hey everyone I've got a 1977 35 HP evenrude , electric start , that is not getting spark.
The boat ran great these past few weeks, I took it out Mon. and I ran it about 2 miles and it just quit, I tried starting it and it just turned over and over...... I used the trolling motor to get back , when I did it tried it again and it fired right up the quit again. T next morning I tried it and it started right up and ran for about 3 minutes then quit, I put new plugs and checked for spark, nothing.
There is a small fuse in line from the starter cylinoid to some thing that connects to the coil packs and it was blown, I put a new one and still no spark . Any info would be great as I know very little about these out board motors......
Thanks for ur help the name is Jason.....If anyone would rather talk with me over the phone that would be great...... 256-658- 09 two one........Thanks...:confused:

If your rig incorporates an ignition switch, temporarily disconnect the Black/Yellow wire (kill circuit) from the back of it. If this cures the problem, replace the ignition switch.

Note: With the above wire disconnected, the kill circuit is disabled and it will be impossible to shut down the engine via the ignition switch.

Thanks for the info on the ignition switch, I'll give that a try, this ignition is brand new but never know it could have gone bad......Thanks again......

Hey I tried removing the black/yellow wire and the motor did start up, I put the wire back on and the motor still started up but after I started it and ran it a few times it would not start, so took the wire off again and it started back up again, is it possible that this new ignition switch is "going" bad or is it most likely a part on the motor, It's almost like it doesn't want to work once it gets hot.... Is there a part I can change out fairly cheap and easy.... I thank you for the info .... It did allow me to start it up.......

That wire stops the engine by being grounded, normally in the ignition switch.
Next step is to remove the same wire from the ignition switch and repeat the testing.
If engine works with wire off the switch, it is most likely the switch.
If problem remains even with wire off the switch, I would suspect the big red multi contact on engine connecting to the remote harness.

The ignition switch should have 2 "M" terminals. One terminal is a raised tower like terminal and is the one that the Black/Yellow wire must be attached to. The other regular "M" terminal should have a black wire leading to a known good ground.

If when you find that you have No Spark, you immediately remove the Black/Yellow wire from the "M" terminal of the ignition switch and instantly Do Have Spark, that pretty much tells the story that either the new switch is faulty OR (and more likely) the switch is wired wrong.

If you have any other ground wire from a tachometer, a gauge of any sort, a ground wire leading from anywhere..... and have it also connected to that Black/Yellow wire "M" terminal, that allows voltage to travel thru and from those gauges (whatever) to that Black/Yellow wire which is connected to the engine's powerpack. If this is the case, such wiring will destroy the powerpack! DO NOT have any other wire attached to that Black/Yellow wire "M" terminal.

Check switch...... Remove all wires from that Black/Yellow wire terminal. Connect a volt meter between that "M" terminal and a known good ground. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (engine NOT running). If any voltage registers, even a microvolt, the switch is faulty and would feed DC voltage directly to the powerpack which will destroy in in a short time.

Let us know what you find.

Ok now I think you just helped me solve the problem, the wires where not in the correct place, the raised post had th solid black wire on it andthe other M post had the black/yellow wire on it.....I just changed them back to what you said they should be......The boat started right up 5 times........:)
The wire's are connected as followed,
raised M= black/yellow
M= black
A= white
C= blue/white
B=red/blue--thicker wire..
I= nothing on it.....
Now on the "B" post I've got a power wire from my fues panel conneted to it, I didn't have any power otherwise......
Let me know what you think about the way the wires are hooked up.......This is the way they where hooked up when I bought it I just replaced the ignition switch and changed out the wire's one at a time as I didn't know anything about these igntions.........Thanks again....

One more thing when the black and black/yellow wire where in the wrong place , as I went to touch the black/yellow to the post to turn the motor off it shocked the sh t out of me is that normal ????..............Thanks again.............

Last edited:
Yes it is normal ------------------------Normally you would also change your underwear as well..............Do not touch wires when motor is running !!

Yeah I felt most of that 250V's lol,
I now have another problem that just started, the motor will turn over strong for a while then it will turn over like the battery is weak.
I started it up befor I went to work @ 2pm it turned over strong and ran real good in barrel of water I let it run in gear on low idle for about 30min... stopped it and srtarted it again with no problems.... I got home last nigh about 11:30 and just wantd to see if it turn over good or not,,, It turned over as if the battery was weak.......It had done this earlier today.... I had just charged the battery over night on 2amp slow charge with a smart charger and this battery is a new marine batter the largest one wal-mart sells so it's got a full charge...... What do think could cause this????....Once again thank you for your time and help........

Might be a first sign of a failing starter or burned contacts inside the solenoid.
However first remove and clean the battery ground screw from engine (white powder on threads).
Check that all other battery connections are good.

When the battery acts as if it were dead or dying, run good known jumper cables directly to the electric starter. If the starter then comes to life, the problem is most likely as Haffiman37 above states.... loose cables, tight but dirty cables, etc that would result in a voltage drop.

Ok thaS SOUNDS logical, I will try that tomorrow...... Thanks again I sure am learning a lot in a short time..........I'll leave another up date tommorrow evening.....

Hey Guys I just cleaned all my main power and grounding points and the motor now urns over better ever, it starts up easier than ever .....
HAFFIMAN 37, thanks a lot for all the help you gave me, I followed all you stated and now I have now problems with it turning over strong or starting easily.......
I'm glad you have the knowledge about the wiring on the ignition switch, causeI had been running it with ground and the kill switch wire connected to the wrong post for about a total off 18 hrs. over a 3 week span....
Hey my boat is a 16 ft lowe flat bottom with the steering wheel , its a fairley heavy boat an ths 35 hp evenrude just seams like it should move a bite faster on the water. Could the wiring and the crusty connections make theboat run slower han it should while the motor still sounds like it i running smooth and at top speed?
Any way I will be taking the boat out next week end and all that next week, I will see how it runs and feels....

MAHALO BRAHDAH.....\ooo/......
(thanks friend.....shaka......)

Back