Logo

TAMD 122p-a Excessive Oil Pressure

mollyryan

Does anyone know what would cause excessive oil pressure 75-90 pounds on my 610HP lobster boat engine? I have replaced regulator valve, didn't help. Situation started last spring at start up. No change after 1000+ hours, motor runs fine. Any ideas, I am desperate!

Excess oil pressure is caused by a blockage in an oil passage. The question is does this prevent flow. I would suggest and oil analysis. Also crank the engine briefly (just enough to get the oil to the top of the engine) when cold, then remove the valve cover to verify that the oil is getting to the top of the engine. If you have been running the engine with no problems, and oil analysis is good, it should be OK.
You may also want to try an oil additive, like Sea Foam to see what happens. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for your 2cents, any at this point is appreciated. But, the issue didn't arise until putting it over board last year to start the fishing season. Replaced a few things and the
gauge to have it run between 75-90 pounds. I ran it all last season with no problem, this is where my confusion is coming in.

Exactly what did you change from one year to the next when the pressure increased?
Quote:
But, the issue didn't arise until putting it over board last year to start the fishing season. Replaced a few things and the gauge to have it run between 75-90 pounds

I have replaced regulator valve, didn't help. That was after putting it overboard and the issue began. That was an effort to resolve the high oil pressure.

Last edited:
Something is 'fishy' here, but I do not like to give up!!!!!!
I'm afraid some more measurements have to be done to establish where and why the oil pressure 'builds up.
I take it that so far you have only measured the pressure at the normal oil sensor position?
Firstly: Is the pressure increased all from low idling and up, or is it 'as before' at low idle but peaks up?
Then I would like you to measure oil-pressure at following locations:
-At pressure line going into turbo.
-Before oil-filter
-After oil-filter.
Have you checked the valve for piston cooling that it is working properly?
As reference for parts and positions I'm using the parts catalog at:
http://www.marinepartseurope.com

This condition did not exist at the end of the season previous year. The motor has had very consistent oil pressure, 35lbs at idle and going rapidly to 65lbs off idle.

When the motor was started for the first start of the season after winter lay up (Jan, Feb, March, April). The oil pressure was 65-70lbs at idle and 95lb off idle. It has remained that way for the entire season. No loss of oil pressure after roughly 1200 hours.

I installed manual gauge, new electrical send unit. New regulator (by pass) valve, new piston oiler valve. No change in oil pressure.

Oil pressure can not change by itself just when an engine stands still!
What may INCREASE the pressure?
The pressure relief valve is the first that comes in mind, but that has been changed.
Next in 'line' would be a main beating that has turned with the crank at start up an blocked the oil-passage, however I guess you would not bee able to run 1200 hrs without any effect from that.
Remains is a blockage somewhere in the oil pressure circuit before the pressure sensor.
This is why I asked for manual measuring on different places on the engine.
Is the oil pressure to the turbo the same?
Did you change oil and filters BEFORE start up?
Might it have been parts of a collapsed filter that has traveled somewhere blocking?

Hi just reading through and wondered if you could just confirm the oil pressure is reading excessive with a mechanical, if the reading is what it should be then id say either you have fitted a wrong oil pressure sender, is the guage on the dash the same as it was before, also if you have fitted a new sender make sure it is not one for a dual station ie for a flybridge as the resistances will show wrong readings, have seen engineers do this by mistake. secondly have you replaced the oil filters in them 1200 hours and with what make

Back