Logo

1959 Fisherman problems.....(after taking time off)

Yes water is coming out the back and immpeller is working; I had it in a tank and think it was just that......Also, I don't have a knob on my gas cap..... just the cap... it screws on til it clicks

You should have some type of vent screw or some way to vent the can.Maybe you have the wrong cap on the tank. Go to Walmart.com and look up boat accessories and find a 6 gallon gas can and look at the cap. In the center of that cap is a little knob that is the vent screw. It needs to be open when running the motor.

Last edited:
That's weird.... I bought the 6 gallon can with cap on it from Walmart.... just double checked the can, there is no vent assist anywhere on it.... only venting is when you slowly unscrew the cap....
Just looked at the cap online, mine is not at all like that, guess I gotta go get one....

Last edited:
MERKDAWG: Got a gas cap with vent screw in it today! Are you telling me this is most likely why my motor just simply cut out after about 15 minutes yesterday? And could this also be the reason my earlier attempts at starting/keeping it running were so negative? If so, that sucks...I read the label on the gas can and it says no need for a vent screw because it has a valve system setup. Think they screwed up on this one.... May try again today, but it's been raining on and off.

Ok, started her right up and she started overheating within less than 5 minutes, pretty immediate.... checked the exhaust, I had a little bit of water spitting out, but not much.....Diagnosis???? bad impeller? blockage somewhere? Help would be greatly appreciated.... Thanx

UPDATE:I have taken the motor apart. I opened up the impeller housing...there are some water dropplets in it indicating water is getting to it...the impeller is in good shape....does there need to be any grease in the housing with the impeller????
Also, I checked the exhaust tube, no blockages..... so like I said earlier, once the motor started I had the exhaust spitting 'some' water out, just not great amounts and the cylinder head area got very hot within less than 5 minutes. And, my lower unit friggin' has water in it!!!!!

Last edited:
make sure it's not clogged up where the water comes out. If motor has sat around awhile in a barn or somewhere muddobbers like to make nest in the motor or spiders and such. And yeah that vent screw could have been your problem. Alot of times when I'm on the water and want to run my motor out of gas to empty the carb I close the vent screw and let it run out of gas that way. Good luck. No grease in the impeller. Make sure it is put in right. Those flaps have to be turning in a certain direction. Clockwise mabe,but I'm not 100%.

May have found my overheating problem, just put my brand new Thermostat in boiling water and it didn't do a thing...... hmmmmmmm.... brand new and no movement!

Impeller Installation question: just read on another Forum advice for installing the impeller on these older Evinrudes. He said to seal the Impeller plate to the lower unit with Bombardier 3M Product# 847 and to seal the impeller housing to the plate with same sealer....I've never seen that before, it is proper?

Also: how do I know if my impeller is properly installed? Which way should the fins be turning?

Last edited:
Simple really, -------------You put the impeller on the shaft----------------Then lower the housing on while rotating the driveshaft in the direction that the engine runs.

UPDATE: Finally...got her tank tested and tuned today!!! took about 20 minutes and got her purring like a kitten...won't be able to lake test for at least a week, have to get another steroid injection for my back. Thanks so much to everyone who helped me out, I really appreciate it!!!!

MERKDAWG: new fuel cap worked out fine....Thanx for the tip....When I went back to WalMart I checked the gas containers they are selling and none have that type of cap. the label on the containers says sumpin' about a new valve system that allows for not needing a manual vent screw. All I know is mine just kept expanding and my motor cut off because of that original cap. Once again, thanks much for the help.

MERKDAWG: Went out yesterday morning to see if she would still start up (you know - kinda like was Saturday a fluke)... anyway she started up on the 2nd pull and purred like a kitten. Probably won't be able to get her out on the lake 'til sometime next week...back is in bad shape and gonna have another round of steroid injections. Will post once I do hit the lake.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Congrats on getting her running. I have a 1957 7.5 evinrude and I too did the fuel pump conversion. Then points,coils condensers and rebuild the carb, but you know all about that stuff already.Lol. This site has been great for answering questions. Good luck to you. Hope the back gets better so you can enjoy your efforts with the motor.

Had my 3rd round of steroid injections today...hope to get her in the water early next week sometime and test her out....report back then!

merkdawg: Exhaust water flow question: should the water flow outta the exhaust be steady or is heavy spitting ok? Keep in mind I have only had her in a tank. When running at idle I had a very heavy spitting of water outta the exhaust. When I was in forward I still had a spitting of water just not as heavy and I am assuming that was because the water in the tank was swirling around the tank. Should I see what the exhaust looks like when I put her in the lake?

Last edited:
MERKDAWG & JOEREEVES: reason I asked about exhaust in previous post is because I've seen some folks say there should be a steady outflow of water and some say a heavy spitting is good. I have a heavy spitting whether I'm runnin' at idle in the tank or have it opened up a little in gear. When I initially tested her in the tank I had the water level about the water pump and kept a constant flow of water coming in from the garden hose. The powerhead did of course get hot, but not too hot to touch. I ran her in the tank for a good 20 minutes while getting her tuned up. So, those are the reasons I'm asking about the water exhaust. Thanks for your help guys!

Polefrog-
Congrats on getting the motor to run.. Give her hell on the lake!
As far as the impeller spitting and the engine overheating - just touch the head with your finger. If its burning hot, shut it down. With a properly working impeller, the head should be hot, but not burning hot that hurts to touch it.

Last edited:
Scout: thanx for the info; will be testing her out one more time this coming week before jumping on the lake. will let ya all know how it goes...thanx again!

Back