Logo

Alternator and or charging system question

Rick, I do have a good understanding on solenoids and what they do. What I was not aware of was they could be used like a relay.

Most of what I have used both in Marine and Machine Manufacturing, are the type that typically cycle on off wether with a mechanical link, open close a valve or to distribute power etc etc........Many years in industry. I just never had seen them used in this way. A relay yes..... a solenoid No.
I do understand all described above and also do not want to confuse anyone. The key here for me was the comparison to a relay. Even relays only like to be energized for so long........
I figured that you knew this stuff pretty well.
As for a solenoid being a "relay"..... take the switches on a trim cylinder pump, for example. These are often refered to as "solenoids", but their function is that of a "relay". Yes/No?
There are also continuous duty "relays". Our late model cars/trucks likely have several under the hood. Fuel pump, for example.

Man............ am I high-jacking this thread, or what? :D

Ricardo, Woodieman and all, have not had a chance to look at the darn thing because I am starting to get busy at work but will post as soon as I can when I get some more information. Ricardo, it is amazing what one can learn with a little effort on this site. ( *always lots of great information) Thanks guys, Tom

Funny, I was just going to say that with all this mumbo jumbo, Tom has probably just been out and enjoying the boat and a few brew.

Kghost, in essence, this really isn't anything new to you. I think where the confusion is, is that we over the years have named certain items incorrectly and have stuck with the terms. A solenoid is only that part of the device consisting of the coil and plunger. If you add contacts to the device and use the solenoid to close (or open) the contacts so it acts as a switch, the device is technically called a relay. Yet over the years we call such devices solenoids such as slave solenoid, starter solenoid etc (actually relays).

Back