Logo

Honda 1979 7.5 hp BF75 wobble in cam shaft pulley

4_honda_75

Hi there,

The camshaft pulley on my '78 Honda BF75 7.5 HP, can be moved up and down a little and can be tilted. I did not had the opportunity yet to remove the pulley from the shaft, but it seems that the pulley is made of an inner and outer part riveted together.
The inner part is secured rigidly on the shaft. The play occurs between the inner and outer part where they are riveted together.

I was wondering if this is common? Is this some design feature to auto-align the belt?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Today I took the camshaft pulley of the engine. The play occurs between the riveted inner and outer part.

Does anyone know if the inner and outer part are supposed to have some play ?
If not, it would be an easy fix, it would only take some pounding on the rivets to eliminate this play.

Does anyone else notice axial play on the camshaft pulley of their bf75, bf100 ?

Last edited:
Hello,

There should be no play in the two pieces, so re riviting it would be a great idea. Just ensure you have it centralised before you do or you may end up with a problem with the pully putting too much stress on the belt as it wobbles.

Cheers
John

Hello John,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I addressed the issue by giving the rivets some firm blows with a hammer and center punch. (one side of the rivets conveniently has indents which can be used to place the center punch in (making sure the other side of the rivet is supported by a piece of metal, otherwise aluminium pulley could easily crack).

Maybe the rivets will work loose again in the future, but for now its fixed!

Cheers,

4_honda_75

Back