Logo

Upgrade a 1975 50hp to a 55hp or 60hp

bigfork308

I have a 75 johnson 50hp that runs good and 135 comp. the kids are getting bigger and I was wondering if I could change some parts to get it up to 55-60. :confused:

Someone once told me it was a matter of swaping out carbs and exhuast manifolds. Is this true or not. I noticed I can pick up parts on fleabay pretty cheap and have worked on motors my whole life so should be able to do myself.

Thanks

Re: Upgrade a 50hp to a 55hp or 60hp

I have a 1970 60hp johnson.i thought i could trick it out by useing carbs off a 65 or 70 hp . as i was explained to the difference between these motors are the ports in the cylinder.Same pistons same carbs just bigger ports.So as far as i no you need to change the powerhead in order to gain hp.I,m sure there are ways to gain a better performance out of your motor but not hp. good luck

Re: Upgrade a 50hp to a 55hp or 60hp

Honest answer. Get a newer motor with more HP and/or have your boat go on a diet. Strip out the excess weight that is no longer needed (i.e. extra life jackets, anchors) since we tend to accumulate allot in our boats. The changing of parts for 5 - 7 hp is not worth the investment. A pre 1984 motor was rated at the powerhead and the post 1984 were rated at the prop. So, sell the old motor and use the money towards a newer motor which will provide a bunch more power.

Back