Logo

2003 Honda 50 Tiller collar Do I lubricate?

constablechris

Contributing Member
Hello to all,

I have a 2003 Honda BF50 which is tiller steer. So the tiller arm goes up and down, there is a black nylon(?) collar which goes on the tiller and into the chasis for want of a better word of the motor itself.

As time ahs gone on dust and dirt has got in scratching the surface of the collar, causing it to be quite hard to lift or drop the tiller.

I now have a new collar (it looks like it is going to be a pain to get it all apart, let me tell you)

When I fish I travel up a lot of dirt roads which are very dust, and I think that dirt gets into the collar causing my problem.

Considering this, should I be lubricating the collar or any of that joint? Maybe silicon spray or graphite? I just worry graphite will get wet and turn to mud and that the silicon would hold the grit in and cause similar problems to what I already have.

Thoughts would be appreciated,

Regards

Chris

The first thing that came to mind when I read your post was "how about a good tie on motor cover"? Not the answer you were looking for, I know, but might be a workable solution.

Thanks jgmo,

I do have covers but the dust just permiates everything, and over 1 or 2 hundred kms it just works its way everywhere, and then when i wash off at the end of the day, it just turns to mud in there.

Better covers might bo on the cards

Chris

Hi Constable,
Ohhhhh, HUNDREDS of kilometers of dirt! Now I understand. Yes, that is rough service for any cover.

How do you feel about how much dirt may be entering the intake of you engine? Do you take any precautions before a long tow? Like stuffing a towel in the carb inlet?

One thing I considered was instead of washing down and making mud, do you think it would be feasible to use compressed air or nitrogen to blow the engine off? You would definitely need to protect the carb inlet if you were to try that. But, it might be a better way to "dust" her out and off.

As far as a lube for that bushing, how about spray wax? Like Pledge furniture wax? It dries to a hard, clean shine...if we are to believe the advertisements.

Anyway, just throwing out some ideas and maybe get you to thinking of something that might solve your problem.

Boats can be fun...that is when they ain't breaking.

Cheers,
jimmyd

Back