Logo

Alpha1 4cl Chevy/Delco starter removal 1975 120 hp

Don Pinder

Do I need a special tool to get at the bottom bolt of the starter? Any advice? Its a 120hp 1975? mercruser.

Last edited:
Re: Alpha1 4cl Chevy/Delco starter removal

thinwall socket, both bolts are the same. being staggared I guess the one by the flywheel cover is jamming you.
try tapping a deep socket on it first.

flywheel cover ear is in the way huh? Can always grind down the outer wall of a socket to fit.

Very improtant to re-install the front bracket to the block. If not vibration will snap the bolts on the starter.

No water in the hull do a compression test.

Good compression then a vacuum test.

Post back the numbers.

Do I need a special tool to get at the bottom bolt of the starter? Any advice? Its a 120hp 1975? mercruser.
My suggestion would be to prepare yourself for rust/corrosion. These bolts may be very stubborn.
Warm the engine up prior to attempting bolt removal. Heat can help immensely .

Next..... these are hex head bolts (six points). Use a six point socket ONLY..... NO 12 point sockets/wrenches. Last thing you want, is a rounded off hex head!

Next.... if replacing this starter motor, don't waste one dime on an OEM starter motor or a re-build.
Pick yourself up a HTGR/PMGR starter motor. Don't let the small size fool you! These will kick butt over the Non-Gear Reduction type OEM starter motors of 1975. These are also generally less expensive than an OEM replacement and/or a re-build.
Be sure to purchase the bolts with the starter motor.... more often than not, the bolt length is not the same.
Do an e-Bay search..... there are several good suppliers selling via e-Bay. You can probably purchase one for around $70.

BTW, the bracket is eliminated on most of these. It is no longer necessary due to the smaller size.
images

SADjnS_MPo1hGsPkf05ayYlFxQwZJSUFVvr6qckVepm5iempxbqJuYlV-Xl6yfm5-hARfU99E8M8y9yQwkQfTx-9rIJ0BgYA

Last edited:
still need the bracket, i and my friends found that out after we combined snapped about 15 bolts.

And it's a byatch upside down with a mirror trying to drill the broken bolt in the block to get a easy out.

We all installed the new type starter. We made a bracket cause the old style bracket won't fit.

Make the bracket save the headache trust me on this.

No need for a compression test and vacuum test, and don't post back the numbers.

o!o

Back