Logo

185 Interceptor Manifolds

292_dreamin

I finally started the rebuild on my 185 Interceptor y block and have found that one of the manifolds is cracked internally. Does anyone have a spare or know where I can get one? They are the later square log style. I see that I can buy new replacements but really wanted to keep it original to the period. Thanks.

Jeff

I, too have just started on a rebuild for my 185. I have the same manifolds. I don't think mine are cracked but there is a lot of erosion between the water jacket and the exhaust channel just at the sealing surface for the aft gasket. My machine shop will be able to lay some weld down, then regrind it to get a good sealing surface. I am in need of the gaskets for both fore and aft ends of the manifold. I did not want to go aftermarket as I would have to redo the pump and alternator brackets, and the heat exchanger mounts.

Jeff,
Where are you sourcing the parts for your rebuild? I am concerned that some of the gaskets may be unique to the marine engine, especially oil pan and timing cover. Any insight on this?

Brian

brians,

I believe the gaskets for those 2 items should be the same as the automotive counterpart, but I will verify that today now that it has come up. There are always options when it comes to sealing, such as cutting your own from gasket material or just using high temp silicone sealant. I found an easy way to pressure test the manifolds, just take the front cover from each of the manifolds and place both on one of the manifolds fore and aft, sealing with silicone, making sure to wait for the seal to cure, about 12 hours. Take a standard cooling hose and connect it to both of the cover plates with hose clamps, this will seal off the water chambers within the manifold. Then screw in a 1/4" npt fitting into the drain hole of the manifold and apply air, about 15psi. I use an outdrive pressure tester that I rigged up several years ago with a low pressure gauge and hand air pump. If it holds the air then the manifold should be ok. The only thing this does not check is the aft risers, but if there is problem down the road this should make it easier to identify and correct. Good luck with you're rebuild.

Jeff

Jeff,
My engine is still in the investigation stage, still trying to find out if the cam is serviceable. I'll check the gaskets again when I get closer to re-assembly. Sierra Boat Co in Tahoe may have the exhaust riser gaskets, but I have to mail him one to be sure. Pressure testing is a good idea, especially after re-assembly. I dont want any water getting into the exhaust section of the manifold.

I would think the pressure test should take place before assembly, much easier that way and if the riser is in place at the rear you will not be able to block off the water outlet in it. I checked on gasket material and it is available at local industrial supply houses, such as cork and neoprene and it comes in rolled sheets. I will probably go this route so if there is a problem I should be able to re-use them.

Brian,

I am now in the reassembly phase on my Interceptor and found that along with the oil pan gasket being different, the oil seal in the timing cover is not the same as it's automotive counterpart, at least on the RH version like I have. For future reference, the timing cover oil seal on a V8 Ford Interceptor RH rotation engine, (272, 292, 312), is National seal 472164. This seal is smaller than the auto version, not sure why Interceptor did it this way instead of matching the stock one but they did.

Jeff

Last edited:
The engine rebuild is complete. They had to bore it 0.30 over, and the new pistons are a slightly lower deck height. It won't keep running over 2500 RPM, I wonder if the carbs cannot keep up now. Fuel flow and pressure good. I had all kinds of trouble with the manifolds, the welder who repaired them created holes between the water jacket and the exhaust passage, fixed with Devcon aluminum putty. Repeated attempts to seal the riser to manifold surface resulted in water in my brand new cylinders! Now the external oil pump leaks, it is very hard to access.

Back