Logo

merc 2003, 8.1 inboard (smartcraft system View) problem

nalpak

Any insight into a continuing problem with losing port engine data from ecm. Intially it was intermitent working for weeks at atime then I'd lose it. Engine runs fine just losing data. Replaced system view and worked for a while again about 3-4 months then the same thing. Have wired the ecm from starboard engine to port display and it shows starboard data. Could it be ecm problem or cable. I can't believe the system view burns out the port side of it's board only. Any thoughts?
Thanks

I'd suspect one of the pins/sockets at a connector. Could also be a bad crimp, where the wire joins the pin/socket. I'd doubt there is any 'burning' going on inside the unit. Give the connectors a detailed visual inspection checking their straightness and the depth (or height) from the pin/socket end to the connector body. Also, a wiggle test at each connection may be helpful in isolating the culprit connection.

On your Smartcraft cable close to the engine you will feel a bulge in the cable. I think it is a diode. It is inside a piece of shrink tubing. This shrink tubing fills with water and causes this problem. I have seen this on a number of boats. Gingerly cut this cover off and you will see the water inside. When you get it good and dry, recover the "Diode" with a good water proof tape. And be careful when washing down your engine.

Regarding the diode. I have never washed down the engines, just light coated with WD40. The cable connection at the engine is high and dry, several ft. from any source of rain water that makes it's way to the bildge. I'll definetly take a look at it, but I can't see how any water got to it. There could be a little spray up, after I haul out for the season and wash out the bildge. At that point it's not started up again until spring time, and is stored inside climate controlled building. I also leave garboard plug out and depth sensor pulled out of through hull to incourage air flow.
Thanks

When you get a chance to look at it and you find the Diode you will see how the shrink tube they put on the harness is not tight enough. If it is very loose you gan hold it vertical and shake the moisture out of it. Please let me know what you find.

Back