Logo

Ad 1991 41 fuel pump leak

Hi , I have recently located a leak on my Volvo Penta 1991 AD 41 fuel pump .
It is dripping every second but none of the pipes or joints are leaking . The leak seems to be coming from the joint at the head of the fuel pump on the discharge gallery (beneath the 6 injector discharge pipes from the pump) I am wondering if this is common, if anyone has experienced such a leak & if it is difficult to correct .

Thank you for any advice provided

Colin

Re: Ad 41 fuel pump leak

Wipe it dry and try to figure out more exactly where the leak is.
It might be the center bolt o-ring/washer, it might be one of the high pressure lines, it might be one of the pressure valves, or it might be the pump itself.
In worst case the pump must be removed from engine, but not that big a job if you get an experienced Bosh diesel mech.

Hi & thank you for your advise . My next approach is to use cotten buds (normally used for ear cleaning ) to find out exactly where this fuel is coming from . It is not the high pressure lines & at present i feel that it is a joint on the pump itself . I will check out the centre bolt o-ring , this could be the problem as you can not see it too well .

Thanks again
Colin
Costa Brava - Spain

I like to use brake cleaner or choke cleaner to clean the area first. I also use compressed air to dry the suspected area. Any damp areas that show after that is your diesel leak.

It might be the center bolt o-ring/washer, it might be one of the high pressure lines, it might be one of the pressure valves, or it might be the pump itself.
In worst case the pump must be removed from engine, but not that big a job if you get an experienced Bosh diesel mech.
Thank you . I looked at a drawing sent to me . It could be the centre bolt o-ring as you suggest (seal 51 ) but i am not sure if i can remove the bolt without upsetting the set up of the pump , I can then inspect & replace it if necessary . I have worked on diesels but am not too sure what tasks you can complete on the pump with out spe******t knowledge ?

If remembering right, you may change #51 without any severe problems.

Just returned from some time in the bilge !!
Fuel is leking from the pump itself & is coming from the casing . Think i need to remove the injector pipes & the 4 star bolts holding the cover in place & examine the seal 51 as per the drawing.

Thanks again

I have now spent more time in the bilge !
Fuel is leaking from the casing which looking at the drawing is seal No 24 . I need to remove the injector pipes & the casing to gain acces but am unsure as to whether this will disturb the timing of the pump ?

Thanks
Colin

Just returned from some time in the bilge !!
Fuel is leking from the pump itself & is coming from the casing . Think i need to remove the injector pipes & the 4 star bolts holding the cover in place & examine the seal 51 as per the drawing.

Thanks again

Hi again , Sorry i meant seal No 24 which lies a little deeper & means that i need to remove the casing to gain acces - 4 star bolts - as per drawing ?

If seal #24 needs to be changed, remove the pump from engine and send to a Bosch shop!!!!
Remove the end-cap housing in the boat, and you will be in for a surprise.

Bosch pump has been removed . Seals/ springs & bushes to be replaced & location of fuel leak located .

There are a few minor scratches on the inside of the main body casing due to wear/fuel but i feel this will not reduce the efficiency of the pump once re-built & fitted to my AD 41 B ? I am being advised to change the casing/body of the pump but this will be difficult to locate ? Volvo Penta Fuel Pump 859506 & I can not locate a part number .
Thanks in advance for any help

Back