Logo

Gas tank leak

mpt

Contributing Member
I own a 1996 Campion Explorer. One day I filled the tank full. I noticed a tiny, tiny, periodic dribble of fuel coming from underneath the gas tank and into the bilge.Thanks to Campion's poor design, I had to cut out deck in order to remove the tank. Now the tank is cleaned and sitting on saw horses, I pressurized it and gave it the soap bubble test. I can't find the darn leak! UGH! Maybe I should fill it with gas and then see where the leak is? It only leaks when filled past 3/4 level. I hope to find the leak, fix it and reuse tank. If not than I will replace it with a poly tank. anybody know a distributer of that sort of product?:confused::confused:
96CampionExplorer622gastank.jpg96CampionExplorer622gastankremoved.jpg96CampionExplorer622tankonside.jpg96CampionExplorer622Tankcavity.jpg96CampionExplorer622project.jpg96CampionExplorer622fiftygallongastank.jpg

I filled tank to the top with water and found a tiny leak. I wonder if JB weld would fix it?
tankleak.JPG

You read what our Green Friend wrote -> scrap it. If its leaking in this relative short time span it isn't worth fooling with. I'd bet once you found and fixed the 'leak' you'd "discover" another one a short time later. It doesn't take much gasoline vapor to ruin a good day on the water....and with fuel prices riding a rocket upwards, you don't want to loose any of it.

fixed1.jpg
I filled tank to the top with water and found a tiny leak. I wonder if JB weld would fix it?
tankleak.JPG
The leak would only appear as a very tiny sweat dribble after the tank is filled past 3/4 full. I probably had the leak for quite some time but didn't realize it until the day I filled the tank full for a long offshore halibut fishing trip. It wouldn't leak from being filled up to the 3/4 mark. I took it to a certified weld shop where he safely did a wonderful job of repairing it. He is going to refill tank with water and check for anymore leaks before I pick it up this afternoon. Repair costs= $100. New tank from Campion- $700. You do the math! I also have a plan to redesign my deck in order to access the fuel tank so I can monitor it in the future.

Last edited:
Back