Logo

problem with shifting forward and reverse backwards

John Smith

i bought a 1980 johnson 70hp i believe
he threw in a set off controls that he had i was label for a 70 hp johnson
the problem is that i changed the water pump and thermostat on it before i even flashed it up
when i got it all back together and everything hooke up i put it in forward gear and it spins in reverse (counterclockwise)
when shifted into reverse it spin clockwise (forward)
was the shift linkage rod hooke up wrong or the wrong control box
the bell crank i have is the boomerang one that has a rod to the shifter up high down on a angle
where most are connected down below with the shift cables
not sure if i explained this right but i need help

You have the wrong lower unit for your motor !--------------Not uncommon on the 70 HP----------------you need to verify UP SHIFT ROD MOTION is for forward on the 1980 70 HP----------------If you have that rod on an angle then somebody changed that, or your motor is not a 1980 model.----------Then maybe somebody put the correct lower unit on it again , without changing the shift set-up back to original.-----------Hope that clears it up---------------A dealer could help you in a jiffy, they have all seen this before.

ya im not 100% sure it is 1980 only serial number ive found was on motor mount which linked it to 1980
when i shift rod up manual without using control box it spins clock wise so his mean leg is wrong
ill take it in anyways to make sure but you mean i would have to change to other bellcrank set up

If it shifts into forward with an UP motion of the shift rod then you have the correct lower unit for an 1980 model !--------------It sound to me that someone had a pre 76 lower unit on there at one time and had to change the shift set-up on the 80 model.--------------So you would have to find a bellcrank and linkage for an 80 or similar model.

thanks very much for your help
im gonna take it to the mechanic to get it checked out anyways i actually bought the other bellcrank earlier think it might be that but wasn't sure if it could be switched over

Back