Logo

offtopic : old washdown

slauder

Regular Contributor
The washdown pump has always been loud the four years I have had the boat (91Tiara3100), and now having issues with pump not turning off after using it.

I pulled the setup out today and thinking I can replace the multi part setup (furnas pressure control, groco motor, and groco vane pump) with just this one old but working flojet self primping 35 PSI w/ integrated pressure switch. Its quiet, light, and rated for both salt and fresh water.

What is the advantage to having the three part set up? Am I missing something? The pump is above the water line so I don't see any safety issues.

http://www.flojetshop.com/spare-parts/default.aspx?code=4405-143

old set removed today: 2011-03-05 16.45.37-old-washdown.jpg

Last edited:
We did something very similiar 2 years ago. It goes from the thru hull to the pump to the spigot on the deck. It is properly fused and has a weatherproof on /off switch in the cockpit. Eliminated a bunch of stuff...

The old vane pump can lift water quite high. Don't know about the new flojet pump. I have one on my fresh water system. However, gravity feeds the pump from the bottom of the tank. The new pump is self priming. But, how high can it lift ? You may have to mount it in the bilge close to the intake.

I will verify the flojet with a bucket of water before I install. The specs at flojet say 3 feet self priming. I don't want to do this twice.

I think I found the issue with old set up. Forth part of the pump system is a rubber ball check valve. I think the vane pump is reversible and since ball check is slowly failing the switch stays on due to leak under boat. Also found "cutin" and "cutout" adjustments.

I'll play/test with both before I squeeze my aching body into play to install.

Check the flojet for 'desired' output as well as basic function. We've gone thru a few washdown pumps and really haven't found one that had enough umph to clean up the deck after a decent tuna comes over the transom. On the flojets, haven't had a lot of lifetime out of their internal pressure switches. Wound up using a Square D pressure switch, just like your old setup. not only can you adjust the cutin and cutout, but they are cheap, easy to replace, and readily available.

Only disadvantage to the one piece unit is you are stuck with what ever you get..

Looks like I got parts needed for flowjet. I have the feeling I maybe doing this again soon.

I am also thinking to add a 25 foot run of hose to the bow for the anchor. Am I going to be pushing too much for the long a run? How do the new baots do it?

Looks like I got parts needed for flowjet. I have the feeling I maybe doing this again soon.

I am also thinking to add a 25 foot run of hose to the bow for a anchor wash. Am I going to be pushing too much for the long a run? How do the new boats do it? Same pump?

I still have my vain pump and will look to rebuild what's needed this summer.

The diaphragms don't care where they come to rest, whereas an impeller does. Impellers go bad from sitting un-used in the housing, while three/four blades are folded over against the cam. This can cause the rubber vanes to eventually fail.
Same with our engine cooling sea water pumps.
"Father Time" is often worse than actual usage!

If the lift, pressure and volume suit your needs, this will be a much better pump for you, IMO.

ss-image-resizer.asp

The more hose you run the product water thru, the more friction it sees and the more pressure drop it will suffer...so a shorter run is the best. I've seen a few high end setups that used a large pump with semi-rigid tubing to make the run. If you can find PEX tubing in a large enough size, that would probably be simplest.

Thanks guys. If I rememeber correctly the larger diameter has less friction (less water touches ID per gal). Let me see what pex is. One fellow was trying to sell me on high pressure semi hard plastic tube used for refrig units. Tiara used a company that went out, so plumbing the boat is difficult. I have . That might work too. I forgot the price. I think a 5/8th ID would be fine. I was told John Guest was what I need.

Last edited:
A 3/4 " hose would be better--that's what QUALITY garden hose is.

Jeff

PS: You can PUSH water much easier than trying to pull it. Keep that in mind when you locate your pump: keep the intake run short as possible.

Back