Logo

Optimax Fuel Leak

MikeMason

Hey guys,

I have a friend with a 2003 200 HP Optimax that has a large fuel leak. Below is a quick video. The fuel is leaking from under the cover located below the cowling. You can see the leak on the right had side forward of the shaft (next to the trim assy). His boat is on a lift, so I couldn't take off the housing for further investigating.

I do know there are no leaks under the cowling.

I know very little about these motors. Any ideas?

http://s371.photobucket.com/albums/oo153/CEMSGUY/?action=view¤t=2003200hpmercuryOptmaxfuelleak.mp4

[video]http://s371.photobucket.com/albums/oo153/CEMSGUY/?action=view¤t=2003200hpmercuryOptmaxfuelleak.mp4[/video]

Mike, unfortunately I am on dial-up service so can't watch your video (don't want to spend 2 hours downloading).

You say the leak is on the "right hand side" - is that the right hand side from the back of the motor (looking at the prop, which would be referred to as the "starboard" side) or is the leak on the port side.

On the starboard side you have the mechanical fuel pump, the electric fuel pump/vapour separator and the (majority) of the fuel lines under the hood. On the port side you have the fuel cooler (which cools the fuel that was "leftover" from the fuel rails which is recirculated back to the VST/electric pump.

Without the "hood off" it's tough to guess - it could simply be a fuel line that has worked itself loose.

Possible "stuck open" float in the Vapor separator tank. The low pressure pump may be over filling the vst and the excess is coming out the vent. If this is the case, you can make it leak fuel by pumping the fuel ball with the engine turned off.

mikemason

Any diagrams that might help?

It didn't seem to leak by pumping the ball; only with the motor running. The leak is on the starboard side.

Hello, I just post a new threat about this topic I need help I have the exact same problem, will like to know if you solved it. Thanks Luis

Possible "stuck open" float in the Vapor separator tank. The low pressure pump may be over filling the vst and the excess is coming out the vent. If this is the case, you can make it leak fuel by pumping the fuel ball with the engine turned off.

what will cause the low pressure pump to overfill the vst tho? i just had this problem today and cant figure out the cause

KevinGreen.....Dockside just said that the float in the vst tank might be stuck open. It's like a float in a carb. If the float is stuck open the low pressure pump will just fill up that portion of the vst tank until it comes out the vent hose.

KevinGreen.....Dockside just said that the float in the vst tank might be stuck open. It's like a float in a carb. If the float is stuck open the low pressure pump will just fill up that portion of the vst tank until it comes out the vent hose.

Thank you dockside. After i posted i went back out and tore the vst completely down and cleaned every piece and very carefully assembled the vst back together but didnt wana disturb the neighbors cranking it uo cuz it was late and didnt get a chance to try it today.... if that didnt fix it what else could do?

Back