Logo

just bought a 1982 Galaxy Open-Bow with a mercruiser 470

snotrod

how's it going everybody i'm new here and just looking for some input

i just recently bought a galaxy openbow for 300 bucks with a mercruiser 470, it's not installed and i have no idea what kind of condition it is in

the bout had a little bit of snow in it when i got it and got all that drained out. it needs to be carpeted and i'm going to buy new seats for it.

i'm mechanically minded in automotive, i can pretty much do anything (i'm in tech school)

but i know absolutely nothing about boats, but i'm not afraid to try.

so with that said, should i waste my time with the 470? is there any other motor that will match up and basically plug'n play? i would like to get this out on the water with minimal work (but i will do whatever is necassary)

i basically need as much info as anyone can throw at me. i love learning and that's half the reason i bought the boat

so with that said, should i waste my time with the 470? is there any other motor that will match up and basically plug'n play? i would like to get this out on the water with minimal work (but i will do whatever is necassary)

Ayuh,... You've got a unique, Antique motor, 'n there's No plug, 'n play replacements....
The most common part #s for the ole 470s is NLA...

The 3.0l would be somewhat less painful, except the outdrive gearing is all Wrong....
The 4.3l will work with the outdrive gearing, but the motor bed is All wrong...

Basically,... A Cheap old boat is Never very Cheap to put together....

if everything is there that ole 470 ai'nt a bad motor . the midget racers used to use'um on dirt tracks. the cylinder head is 460 v-8 ford so some hotrod guys would use the 429 cobrajet head for more compression. make sure everything is good with it and ya might wanna check the compression to look for a blown head gasket

The only thing that works on an old boat is its owner. Old, cheap boats can become very expensive. But, sometimes the trip is worth the cost.

Back