Logo

Verification of 9.8HP Mercury 110 outboard motor s/n and year

benkiehl

I have a Mercury 9.8 hp 110 outboard. I'm trying to verify the s/n and year made in order to obtain the proper service manual. I found a raised number cast into the engine block on the rear starboard side of the engine. The number is 8372756. That number doesn't seem to fit within the s/n ranges offered on line for matching s/n's to years made. Can you help me either find the correct s/n if this number is wrong or identify the year this engine was made. I found a number etched into the motor cover on inside just below the cover gasket (amature job of etching). Not sure what this number means but perhaps it can help answer my question. The number is: M600 745 275 856.

Last edited:
That's not it. Look on the clamps for a riveted plate. If you can't find one, let us know what color the "Mercury" decal is on the wrap.

Jeff

Found it. S/N is 3363388. Decal on cover is Mercury with a thin blue line above and below the word Mercury. Does that agree with the S/N? Do you know what year this motor would have been built? Thanks for getting back to me. Your help is much appreciated.

Agree with James, looks to be a 1972 model with a phasemaker ignition.

You may have a difficult time finding a factory manual. A very good alternative would be Seloc's "Mercury Outboard - 1965-1991, 1 and 2 cylinder Tune up and Repair Manual".

Sold in print or on-line formats (from this site amoung others, with the printed version available at most boat dealers) for about $35.

Delta only goes back to 1986. The engine starts fine but when you put the lever in gear it clinks like it goes in but acts like its in neutral. The prop appears loose and wobbly as well. I'm not sure it's the prop but I was told this was the culprit by someone who knows more than I.

That's not it. Look on the clamps for a riveted plate. If you can't find one, let us know what color the "Mercury" decal is on the wrap.

Jeff

hi jeff I have a similar problem my serial num is gone and I would like to know what year it is it is black with a small red stripe around the hood don't know if his is rite or not. all I can see is that it has perma coils and says lighting on the motor thaks for any help I think I have to rebuild it got a squeal in the motor

The "red band" models were built between 1969 and 1973.

There may be a welsh plug (silver disk about the size of a quarter) on the power head itself with the serial in it.

On this size of motor it is typically on the right hand side of the motor (if you are looking at the prop - so standing behind the motor) close to the (head) - there isn't really heads on these models, they are split blocks, but that should orient you - it may be centered between the two cylinders.

But I don't quite remember for sure on the older models and it may be in a slightly different location.

If the hood actually belongs to the motor (which would age it at least to that span), then the serial should be 7 digits starting with either a 2 or a 3.

The "red band" models were built between 1969 and 1973.

There may be a welsh plug (silver disk about the size of a quarter) on the power head itself with the serial in it.

On this size of motor it is typically on the right hand side of the motor (if you are looking at the prop - so standing behind the motor) close to the (head) - there isn't really heads on these models, they are split blocks, but that should orient you - it may be centered between the two cylinders.

But I don't quite remember for sure on the older models and it may be in a slightly different location.

If the hood actually belongs to the motor (which would age it at least to that span), then the serial should be 7 digits starting with either a 2 or a 3.

thank you kindly I just went and looked all over the motor no plug. but I did find a place on the front side of the engine and also on the opposite side on the front of motor. but this s w think someone stole this engine and xxxxxxou the serial. , i dont know if the hood is rite or not. what I do know is it says lighting on the motor. the sparkplugs are buhw-2.the carb 1364-4929 there is a number on the block337-2757. the coils say perm gap

The number on the carb is the fuel pump for a integrated carb that started in 1973. The difference between a 7.5 and the 9.8 is real hard to tell unless you have numbers to work with. Do you have the red ignition module under the flywheel? If so it is probably a 1973 as they went to a CD type ignition in 1974. BTW you really should start your own thread!
yes it has a red ignition module so that should be 1973 .hanks for your help. I just started on here so dont know really what to do so was looking or help ok won bother anyone any more

I don't think he meant to slam you here.

It's just that sometimes if you tack onto an old thread your questions don't get the full attention of all of the members.

In future when you have a question/issue etc if you look in the upper left corner on the main Mercury Outboard page you will see a blue button that says "+ Post New Thread"

That way it will show up as new, and for us that have things set up, we will get an email telling us there is a new post - just may help get you an answer quicker.

The only reason I saw your question at all was because I had responded to the original thread and I got an alert that it had been updated.

I don't think he meant to slam you here.

It's just that sometimes if you tack onto an old thread your questions don't get the full attention of all of the members.

In future when you have a question/issue etc if you look in the upper left corner on the main Mercury Outboard page you will see a blue button that says "+ Post New Thread"

That way it will show up as new, and for us that have things set up, we will get an email telling us there is a new post - just may help get you an answer quicker.

The only reason I saw your question at all was because I had responded to the original thread and I got an alert that it had been updated.

thank you it was that I was new and didn't really know what to do

Back