Logo

Delco est timing not advancing

mako72

Took the boat out and ran fine cruising 3200 rpm at the end of the day I opened it up and barely gained from 3400 to 3800 where it bogged and sounded like it backfired out exhaust. Throttled back to cruise and ran fine. 2001 5.7 vortec Marine Power. 233 formula center console. When I got home I checked if the timing was advancing and it idled at 8* but only advanced to 12* while revving. manual calls for 26* total. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Incorrect ignition advance will hold back performance just as you have described. The ignition must give the correct curve and TA, for any power to be had.

Remember...... a TA number is worthless without be accompanied with an RPM.
Example: 26* total advance @ 3,200 rpm (example only)
So when you check TA, make certain that it is Full In no sooner, nor later, than what the OEM specifies in crankshaft degrees.

I'd check your OEM service manual, and see the trouble shooting section.
The module may require certain sensor data in order to give the advance that you need to be seeing.
You may have a sensor that is bad..... hard to say!

Mark off your harmonic balancer, and strobe this with a standard light, or a digital timing light in standard mode.
This eliminates the risk of user or equipment error, IMO.

Specs call for 8* at 600 rpm 26* total at 4000. When I checked advance I had 8* at idle 650 rpm. When I revved engine at carb while looking at timing it advanced to 12* by around 1800 then would not advance any further despite taking to 4000 rpm. Did try swapping module for one I had from a car just for test purposes and it also only advanced a few degrees. Help please

I see that you have posted this in the Crusader section also!
Best if you were to stick with one.... IMO.

Your 26* @ 4k rpm is high for a TA to come full in. Are you sure that the curve does not show this being Full In sonner?

None-the-less, it doesn't help with today's problem.

Have you read through the trouble shooting section of a Crusader or Marine Power OEM manual..... or for that matter, even the Delco EST manual?
Not Seloc.... not Clymers!

Back