Logo

ft. lbs of torque on thermostat housing for Gen IV 454

All the GM v-8 engines with a cast iron manifold call for 30 ft*lbs on the bolts for the t-stat housing.

BTW, on the big blocks, the older ones are referred to as MARK IV with the newer ones being GEN V, etc.

Here we go again! The most destructive tool in a mechanic's toolbox is a torque wrench. Torque readings are irrelevant unless the threads are perfectly clean, and lubricated in a fashion that's consistent with the published torque reading (ie: dry or lubricated).

The bottom line: Snug the bolts up good, one side than the other, then and a 'flat' or two more. (A normal bolt has 6 flats.)

Jeff

So I'm not a mechanic but I can say this. Jeff you may be correct in some regards. But the fact is snug becomes relative even to the individual doing the tightening. Example I could use 1 socket one day, and another the next and snug becomes very different. And especially if one handle is longer than the other. So based on logic alone I don't have to be a mechanic for a gazillion years to understand that using some type of objective tightening device is very wise. And even if there are some variations due to the bolts etc. I can guarantee using torque settings and a torque wrench or adapter is much better than using your own version of "snug". Which varies widely from human to human. Get a torque wrench and do yourself a favor. Or kick yourself in the ass for over torquing and making your problems worse.

Snug enough so it doesn't leak, I always use Evinrude gasket sealer on the bolt threads and if the threads in the intake manifold are really crudded up, clean with a thread chaser and compressed air. I use the sealer on the gasket too (OMC or Volvo) but prob wouldn't on the Merc due to the brass grommets.

Back