Logo

1968 9.5 hp evinrude sportwin outboard motor won't switch gears

jheron06

I have a 1968 9.5 evinrude sportwin outboard motor that I was using today on the river that stopped working. I was driving it and it was running fine until I stopped and turned it off. I started it again and it cranked up in one pull. However when I went to switch it into forward from neutral nothing happened. The lever will move, but the boat won't. It does the same thing when I put it into reverse. What could this be? I feel as though it is a simple fix, so I would like to try and do it myself. Please help!

Re: 1968 9.5 evinrude sportwin outboard motor won't switch gears

Yes I have. Everything looks normal with the actual prop, I can tell however that when I switch it into forward of reverse that nothing is catching. The motor used to kick a little bit when I would put it in gear and now it does not.

Re: 1968 9.5 evinrude sportwin outboard motor won't switch gears

Have you drained the oil in the lower unit ???-------------How long have you owned the motor ???----------------Any maintenance been done ???--------I own about 10 of those 9.5 motors, in various stages of rebuild.-----------Lots of knowledge on them too !!

Back