Logo

Only One Instrument

Cadwelder

Contributing Member
If you could only have one instrument on your boat (2 stroke outboard) what would it be.

Speedometer, tachometer, water pressure, temperature, etc..... And why??

Thanks,, couldn't agree more about the tach... This thread is to solve an argument with friend of mine saying the temp gauge is most important and that isn't true... He even goes so far as to say a tachometer isn't needed at all... Geeez.

Hope the respones keep coming in....I think this should be an instresting thread.

You need a tach in order not to overload or over-rev your engine.
Temp instrument might be more of confusion than use, a temp-switched alarm horn circuit works better!

Most of the newer outboards have a built in rpm limiter, so avoiding over-reving in usually not an issue on newer motors. I most often use my tach to control trolling and cruising speeds, and for optimizing trim. Most newer outboards also have an automatic shut down or SLOW mode feature when they overheat. So, in retrospect, I don't think there is a clear winner to the argument.

Most of the newer outboards have a built in rpm limiter, so avoiding over-reving in usually not an issue on newer motors. I most often use my tach to control trolling and cruising speeds, and for optimizing trim. Most newer outboards also have an automatic shut down or SLOW mode feature when they overheat. So, in retrospect, I don't think there is a clear winner to the argument.

Thanks for that explanation. I wasn't aware of the newer additions. I know my older "Tower of Power" has no such limiters (1987). So to clear the argument we'll have to make sure we're comparing proper year to year.

But still most of the newer engines , and even older for that sake, are delivered with a rev counter including warning lights for different failures. Never seen an engine delivered with a temp gauge and same warning lights????
The biggest danger on a modern engine, 4 or 2-stroke might not be over-reving but under-reving.

Last edited:
Good point on the under-reving vs. over-reving. New owners tend to baby their new engines too much - I certainly did at first until a couple of knowledgeable tech's set me straight. Furthermore, a prop that is too large or has too much pitch will prematurely wear out an engine.

I installed my own heat sensors on the heads and ran them to matching gauges on the consol. Fairly easy to do. If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail message at [email protected]

Back