Logo

Still no fuel in my 1959 Fisherman Carb... urggggggg!!!!!

polefroggy

Contributing Member
Ok, I now have good coils, I have good spark from both plugs...Pulled that starter rope and ton of times, nuttin'.... no sputtering, no spitting, no popping, no nothin'. Pulled fuel hose from carb and checked flow from pump... excellent flow...the fuel gets to the carb but won't go further..... pulled the carb apart and verified.... found no fuel in the carb, no fuel smell...float bowl bone dry.

Based on posts yesterday, check my float needle once again, it does have a rubber tip... I have no clip/spring for it...is this the reason the carb is not taking in fuel? And if so, guess that means I need to get another rebuild kit.....

thanks to all for your help

There is a blockage between the fuel inlet of the carburetor and the float valve.---------------Normally you would blow thru that by mouth and then invert the carburetor to see if the valve works as it should.

Just took float needle and seat out and sprayed with carb cleaner thru the hole where the needle sits. Cleaner came out just down the line where it is supposed to. Seems to be clear and open.

Ok, held the card together, held it upright and blew thru fuel inlet valve..... no blockage, wide open, when I turn it upside down and blow it's blocked.... I can't blow.....

Ok, I sprayed it all out with carb cleaner. Holding carb together by hand, right side up, and Float Needle or Seat not installed I have no blockage when I blow thru the fuel inlet valve. I have no blockage upside down. Now when I put the Needle Seat in and the Needle, same results. No blockage when I blow thru the fuel inlet valve, right side up or upside down. Now should I be good? Like I said in the beginning of this thread, I know for a fact that the fuel is getting from the pump to the carb inlet valve.....

I sure as heck hope this is it, tired of taking the damn carb out and apart...we'll see tomorrow for sure..... Thank you much for all your help!

Sorry for the double posting, still haven't found the blockage, but will get it figured out one of these days... Thank you for your help... we'll see what happens....

You dont mention if you have removed the fuel hose from the pump and carbi to check the flow from the pump..If carbi is dry trace it backwards..may not be the carbi at all , could be the pump? Is the feul commong out the overflow on the carbi when you fuly pump the fuel up?

Decided to buy a new 'used' carb... should have it in a few days, will rebuild it and see what happens.... unless someone lives close to me here in Venice and would like to help me out for a 12 pack!!!! Will let ya all know what happens with the new carb. Thanx again for all your input.

Yes it has been converted. I found instructions from an avid Evinrude techy online and converted it over. So like I said earlier, I've ordered another carb. Once it comes in, I'm gonna clean it up, rebuild it, install it and see what happens. I have new coils, condensors, points, plugs, plug wires....so hopefully the new carb will do the trick.

Got my 'new' used carb today! Cleaned it up, rebuilt it. Is in good shape. Triple checked my plugs, have good spark. Compression is good; 80psi #1 cylinder, 60psi #2 cylinder. As stated earlier, new coils, condensors, plugs, plug wires, points. Busy tmro, but hope to try starting her up Sunday. Now seeing I am new to outboards, is the proper starting setup on the motor. I know I need to back out the high speed and low speed needles, but what setting do I need the throttle at and should the choke be pulled out?? Thanks for all your help.

Go see Bob on Edgewater Dr in Port Charlotte.. He lives about 6 to 8 doors down from the intersection of Harbor and Edgewater ( waterside and going South ) Cant miss his house - his mailbox is a converted 5hp Johnson outboard. He'll set you strait. Getting ready to go see him myself. Goober Luck

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at
:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

JOEREEVES & RACERONE: tried starting her up- after 5/6 pulls I had smoke coming out the exhaust and thought "Yes"!!!! Well no...after 5/6 pulls the smoke stopped. I played with the choke, I played with the throttle, I even once again checked the spark (and my fingers got zapped good). I even switched plug wires thinking maybe they were reversed. Nope, no help. After probably another 15 pulls or so I started getting this "moanin" type noise every once in a while after a pull on the rope. It was a soft moan almost as if a young girl was trying to take a breath of air, or maybe even expel a breath of air.... I couldn't tell if the motor was exhaling or inhaling.....Kinda at my witz end guys, here's to hoping you can help. Thanx Much!!!!! Appreciate everything so far.

SCOUT100: what's his phone#? Don't wanna just pop in on him if I go. Thanx much.

Set initial carburetor adjustable needle valves as I stated above, pump fuel primer bulb up hard, set choke to full on, apply a little throttle..... approx 1/4 throttle or so, pull engine over. Engine should start within six pulls after which adjust the carburetor as per above instructions. If engine doesn't start within 6 pulls, something is still not as it should be.

Are you using Champion J6C plugs, gapped at .030? If not, do so.

Back