Logo

WellCraft Volvo Penta shifting problem.

JLW984

Hello everyone,
I am a new boat owner, and just picked up a 21ft Wellcraft excel SL. It has the 4.3 volvo penta. We took the boat out today for the first time, and at first the tilt and trim was not working. So I traced the problem back the some exposed wires in the throttle handle. Electrical taped them and everything worked out. Drove it for about an hour, and it ran amazingly. Ran into some friends and shut it down to tie up to their boat. When we went to start it back up it wouldnt go into gear. It wouldnt even stay in neutral. Everything put it into reverse! It wouldnt even just idle, push it forward and it would go into reverse. The throttle control handle is pretty shotty, I am wondering could it be something in there or do I have a much larger problem on my hands. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that love the boat. Volvos are the way to go!!

What year model, which out drive?
Either/any are cone clutch gear engagement, so any issues will be similar. But knowing which drive would be helpful.

Its a 1998 WellCraft Excel Sl Volvo Penta 4.3gl..Not sure the outdrive I can check tomorrow. I am guessing its something to do with the cable or throttle handle placement. I finally got the chance to take off the side panel and it released something and now I've free'd up the propeller. It was stuck in reverse before, now it goes into neutral. But it has to be a little further forward than center to be in neutral and stays in neutral all the way forward. This is with the neutral button out not in. So it seems as if the throttle is not on right, but it ran fine for half the trip. Also the throttle has that notch that can only fit on one way, unless i am missing something.

You may need a throttle/shift unit over-haul, or a complete replacement. Possibly a new shift cable as well.
The cone clutch units are generally trouble free if no other issues, and if the shift cable is operating correctly.
Start all adjustments with the eccentric piston in complete "Neutral", and work from there.
Make sure that the cable's "over-travel" is equal in either direction.

FWD gear engagement always involves an "extended" cable at the drive. Retracted cable for REV.

hi
i have the same boat but a 1994, i have had the same problems with the shifter as you have now, you will need to disconnect the carb cable and drive cable , they are only e-clipped on a small shaft , remove throttle lever and centre screw. undo the the 4-6 bolts holding the whole lever assy on.

from there take pictures and notes as you dismantle things, its a very complicated thing, you will find the problem will be the ball bearings sticking than run on a inner cover that has reseased holes for the bearing to lock in to when moved through the motions when you select the gear.

do a realy good degrease and regrease useing a thin marine grease. reassemble and test.

i sufferd problems with locking up in gear, not engageing gear, locking up in reverse, and once it locked up at half throttle had to shut down boat from battery to stop boat, since doing the work and service on it it has been a1 with no further problems.

a great boat by the way love mine like my two kids great boat

mark w

Last edited:
hi again

Also wanted to add that when i removed my throttle assy i meterd the newtral switch that is screwed in the caseing, its just a simple on off switch with two wires going to it, i meterd mine because i was having problems, turned out the switch was failing as the meter on a continuity test proved the connection inside was hit and miss.

i removed and dumped the switch brought a marine stanless steel push in and hold switch switch and fittied it right near the throttle lever, so it can only be pushed in when the thottle lever is in newtral.

i did look at replacing mine but the cost and having to correct cable issue to do with new lever was not a quick job, so i done the work myself

hope this may help you

Back