Logo

Perkins M50 Overheating Problem

geoffreymh

Hi folks

I am completely flummoxed by a high temperature reading that shows on the temperature gauge after the engine (about 20 years and 6,000 hours old) has been idling from 20 to 40 minutes.

The engine stays cool when I run without a thermostat. So there is nothing (apparently) wrong in raw water or cooling water systems. I have tried various thermostats (four) and apart from the fact that the automotive ones run about 10 degrees F hotter there is no difference, the thermostat works because the raw water gets hot. Then at about 20 to 40 minutes, the temperature flicks right up. It happens so suddenly that I am inclined to think it must be an electrical problem.

I have cleaned and checked all the connections on the wiring to temperature sender and temperature gauge and they seem fine.

Could this be a temperature sender problem?

Could this be an intermittent problem with the cooling water pump? I have changed the drive belt. How would you know?

All this started after I changed an impeller but I have checked and rodded out the intercooler tubes and water flow looks good.

Any/all suggestions would be welcome.

Kind regards

Geoffrey

Back