Logo

318 rebuild advice

..."The wrist pin is not offset and thrust walls are symmetrical."

And how did you determine that, by eye balling it!

Having nothing to do today, I took the time to read through your "proof" that you are right and the rest of us are wrong. The Mopar manual you referred to states absolutely nothing about installing pistons in a reverse rotator! In addition, though you claim the wrist pins are symmetric (which they are not), then why does the Mopar manual insist on having the notches aimed the right way? Humm? Humm?

Jeff

Its also worth noting the Manual cited mentions very little about the reverse rotation engines at all - that they have different starters and the firing order gets reversed and that's all I could find. No mention whatsoever about the wonderful distributor differences which was a surprise....Figure 37 clearly shows an offset and figure 40 shows the notch at the top in addition to the cast in "F"s on either side of the wrist pin bores....but service manuals are notorious for recycling images that aren't always applicable to the section where they appear....

Long story shortened - unless you are using the OEM pistons, what is in and what could be in the manual is irrelevant. If rebuilding and using the readily available aftermarket pistons, one really has to consult their literature to insure proper installation in a given application. The few catalogs I peeked in all had offset wrist pins, as Jeff noted many posts earlier.

Jeff and Mark, great comments, and I agree with both of you.

My observations:

Shellback (the OP here) started this thread back in 2-19-2011 (approx 9 years ago).
He did not post again until 1-25-2012.
MikeCinci was apparently looking for something, found this thread and resurrected (aka Hy-Jacked) it on 2-21-2020.

JoeTeel started his thread ("
318 reverse rotation already assembled") back in 6-5-2013 (6+ years ago).
MikeCinci also found that thread and resurrected it on 2-21-2020
with a rather similar and arrogant attitude.

I suggested to MikeCinci (post #17 in Joe's thread) that he start a new thread (perhaps a debate thread re; wrist pin offset), and see where it leads.

From what I see, and since MikeCinci has not been back to either;
a....... start a new thread
b....... further support his thoughts
c....... to concede

..... it would appear as though he was trolling.

I guess we'll see what happens!

Meanwhile, for those of you building an engine (either REV RH or Std LH rotation), make dang sure that you orientate your pistons correctly.
There is good reason for the wrist pin offset, correct valve relief positions/locations, etc.

..."Its also worth noting the Manual cited mentions very little about the reverse rotation engines at all "

I doesn't mention the rear crank seals installation, and they are different for reverse rotators (per the gasket box).

A lack of information does not constitute nor substantiate incorrect conclusions!

Jeff

I fully concede that i was wrong and jeff and ricardo were correct. After alot of back and forth and incorrect information provided to me by a local marine engine rebuilder that rebuilt both of my engines and does this everyday professionally i found out my source was wrong and these gentlemen were correct. I apologize and make no exuses for saying these guys were wrong when they were in fact correct. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and admit when you’re wrong. This is one of those times. My apologies are offered and i hope they are accepted. Notch goes towards the rear on a reverse rotation engine.

I fully concede that i was wrong and jeff and ricardo were correct. After alot of back and forth and incorrect information provided to me by a local marine engine rebuilder that rebuilt both of my engines and does this everyday professionally i found out my source was wrong and these gentlemen were correct. I apologize and make no exuses for saying these guys were wrong when they were in fact correct. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and admit when you’re wrong. This is one of those times. My apologies are offered and i hope they are accepted. Notch goes towards the rear on a reverse rotation engine.

See post #19 here.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?408891-318-reverse-rotation-already-assembled&p=673411#post673411

And thank you, Mike, for coming back to clarify.

Many engine builders install directional pistons to make more horsepower. The offset increases drag. Also many pistons have no offset at all.

Are you building a drag boat engine? If not, stick to stock with the offset. Less piston slap and noise, especially when the motor is cold.

Jeff

Back