Logo

How do you clean a heat exchanger?

JCosta

Hello,

I just picked up a used heat exchanger for my FW Chrysler 360. Someone stole mine over the winter:mad: I'm going to strip the paint, replace the end cap, zinc and repaint. I was wondering if there was a solution that works best to clean the inside chambers that's safe to soak them in.

Thanks... john

Ayuh,... Bring it to a radiator shop,...
They can boil it out, just like a radiator....

I'd have 'em pressure test it while they're at it...

These are typically constructed from Brass, Copper and are often Silver soldered and/or brazed.
Best to not have it taken apart, unless absolutely necessary, and by a qualified shop ONLY.

Ditto..... a good radiator repair shop should be able to clean it for you, followed by pressure testing.

Be sure to keep fresh pencil anodes up to date...... sometime several or more per season.

You can use a non-ferous primer, just as you would for an out drive.
Zinc Chromate is one that I believe is suitable. Light coatings are preferred.

Last edited:
Hey i was just curious can you acid tank them to strip the paint with out causeing any damage inside ?

Yes but only with metal safe chemicals.
Acid.: normally phosphoric and with a built in metal inhibitor. A commercial plumbing supply house will have it in gallon jugs to clean out tankless water heater heat exchangers.

Thanks for the comments everyone, I found this post on the forum:

"Acid wash it in place if you want. Use Muratic acid with water 50/50 put in bucket, get spare bilge pump and put it in the solution. run one end to the heat exchanger and then attach a return hose to the bucket. run it until it quits foaming on the return side then immediately flush with plenty of clean fresh water. Have a second bucket ready that has the fresh water and simply put the pump in it and the return."

Has anyone used Muratic acid this way?

Remember, the side that you need to be most concerned with, is the E/G (ethylene glycol) side. The sea water side is easily accessible!

Muratic acid is not what to use. It's not metal safe. Muratic is the household name for Hydrochloric or HCL acid, The only thing it does well is kill your nose with fumes and eat everything it touches.

BTW most radiator shops no longer clean with chemicals, it has become too costly to dispose of them when there done.They use ultrasonic bath to break up deposits and/or remove one tank then rod out the tubes.

http://www.flow-aide.com/

Last edited:
Heat Exchanges are another vital piece of hardware. I operate in salt water. My experience, the inner cooling tubes will corrode. They carry the raw water. I have some of these braised, due to failing pressure testing. The testing and repair is best left to the expert. The exterior appearance is subjective. The cost of your heat exchanges are inexpensive compared to the land Down Under. We have Julia Gillard over your way ! She may be able to give you a hand or advice ! .... Eddie Cantor " If you knew { Julia } Susie. " or Al Jolson " .... "

Back