Logo

1971 6hp johnson gear assembly

friendlobster

The forward gear bushing/bearing installation talks about a pin that engages a slot in the bushing. I see the slot and I see the pin which has been pushed up into the housing.

My questions are what does the pin do? and do I need to replace it? Does Boat.net have the pin ? (1971 johnson model 6RL-70B). In earlier phone calls it appears that 6RL-71E parts will work but I didn't find a pin.

The SELOC manual I have goes through quite a process to drill out and replace the pin so it would appear necessary. The pin mentioned is apparently stepped as they talk about the larger part of the pin being flush with the housing. (they also mention dropping solder into the drilled out hole until you get the larger end of the pin to fit flush with the housing.)

If I understood the function of the pin, I might be able to accomplish the fix in another way. One would think that the pin is to keep the bushing from turning, but it isn't going to turn with or with out the pin. Next idea is that the pin is necessary to keep the bushing at a particular height.

I need some other parts $200 - $300 worth but no sense in going there 'til this is figured out. Thanks for your help

See this all the time, it is a common occurance.---Just drill a hole beside the old pin and install another pin ( your choice of exact size ).------------The pin locates the bushing so that the groove for the oil is in the correct location.-------The pin locates / orients the bushing for correct lubrication.----------When the 2 halves are bolted together the bushing is clamped to keep it from rotating.----Hope that explains it.

Last edited:
Back